flyboy1963

Well Known Member
I'm mounting the nose gear SB, fork etc. and thought I'd like to balance the wheel, although shimmy has not been a big issue.
I've run into the same problem as everyone else, nobody seems to be able to dynamically balance the little wheel.
I put some green snot in my motorcycle tubeless tires years ago, which was advertised as a leak sealant and balancing media as well!
I was concerned it would settle to the bottom of the tire over the winter, and throw the wheel horribly OUT of balance on my first spring ride.
This did NOT happen.
So why don't we all use this stuff to balance our wheels, and stop the constant leaky tube syndrome some experience?????

anyone used it? Issues? successes?

During landing, your aircraft tire will go from a stand still to 60+ MPH in an instant. Not enough time for the liquid in the tire to spread around in the tire. You might be fine during taxi and take off, but the landing would be a ride.............

landing

exactly my thoughts. But after sitting all winter, this goo does not run to the bottom.
It's not really liquid once spread...turns to gorilla snot.
My first ride I went 0 - 40mph in about 5 seconds, and not a hint of imbalance. Once the stuff coats the inside of the tire, it seems to stay in place. If only we could SEE inside to know what's really going on!

Last edited:
Hi Perry,

One day you will have to cut the tire in half to see what's going one. :)

Be sure to report back.

My beef is the cost difference between an aircraft size tube to the ATV/wheel barrow tube, both are Michelin airstop.

Even Van's price on the nose wheel tube is 1/5 that of the main gear tubes.:confused:

Bevan.

Has anyone tried the "balance beads" in their tires? Lightweight beads that you can pour in through the valve stem, and they self-distribute on rotation. Lots of people use them on motorcycles...

Tire issues and shinny!

... The problem we see that contributes the most to wheel shimmy on the nose wheels (fore & aft) is this. The tires for some reason, regardless of brand or price, are almost without exception out of round. Some as much as 1/2" and can,t even be trued or balanced. We return about 15% to the manufacturer for replacement. The higher priced tires are usually worse in this respect than their Chinese counterparts. We service on average about 30 tires and wheels a week, with bearings, mounting, truing and balancing so we see virtually every brand of tires and tubes. One problem with the tire sealants is they tend to rot the rubber in the tubes over time. Also, you rarely get a flat at home, so you are usually very limited on tools, or replacement parts. The sealer will come out of the puncture making it virtually impossible to patch a hole in your tube and creates quite the mess as well. We offer dynamic balancing and have found the sealers will through off the balance and at speed they will flow to the high side of the tire, thus adding to the problem. It is best to true and balance with a good quality tube. They usually don't seep, will outlast the tire and won't cause balance issues. If we can be of service just let us know. Thanks, Alan...:D
Link to wheel, tire & balance service;
http://antisplataero.com/Videos.html