ProCoach

Well Known Member
I'm always interested in planes, of course, but I find myself drooling over hangars almost as often. I've got two T-hangars for my planes and they're fine, but I'd love to have a nice big hangar/shop. Got any pics of yours?

Last edited:
I'm jealous!

Man, I can't even justify the expense of one hangar out here in Central CA.
I had an offer to share (with 3 or 4 others) a hangar....$350.00/mo.
Riiiiiight!!!!

I'm tied down. $35.00/mo. That I can live with.

S_tones

s_tones said:
Man, I can't even justify the expense of one hangar out here in Central CA.
I had an offer to share (with 3 or 4 others) a hangar....$350.00/mo.
Riiiiiight!!!!

I'm tied down. $35.00/mo. That I can live with.

S_tones
Sorry about the problems of hangar space in CA. Real Estate prices are most definetly a reason I would not enjoy living in most of CA. As for me, I have a 45 X 50 shop at my home where I am builidng my RV9A. I also just purchased a 50 X 60 hangar on a 3000' private grass strip that is 2 miles from my house where I will be flying out of eventually. I can't wait to be able to fly cross country from my own hangar.

Here are a few pictures of my shop at the house. You might notice that there are french doors about 9' above the floor. If I ever have the resources to do so I will be building a loft area that will walk out through those doors onto a deck. I have no idea when that will be finished but I had the doors put in when the shop was built so it would already be in place when the time came. The main door opens to a 24 X 10 opening with two 12 X 10 doors on overhead slider tracks guided at the bottom by rollers on an inverted angle as a track. The entire shop is insulated. The sidewalls are 10' tall with a 4/12 pitched roof. This puts the peek of the roof at 22'. There are two functional cupolas centered in each bay of the roof at the peak. Each cupola opening has a 36" attic fan that I can turn on in the summer to suck any heat out the top of the building. The enclosed room seen in the second picture is a full bathroom with sink, toilet and shower.

I will try to get some pictures of my hangar at the airport to post here later.

Why do you stay??

There seems to be so many reasons to put CA at your six and firewall it. :confused:

I am lucky here. There are more hangars than planes to fill 'em. I used to share a large closed hangar with five others for $100 a month. It locked and was nice enough, but I never liked the idea of others being in "my" hangar. My T-hangars at LBB are $125 ea. and private. Nice ILS approaches and controlled airspace. Semi private strip right in front of hangar that is often not used. It is the shorter, unlighted 17L/35R. There are two RV6 builders working the tower at LBB, so I'm always treated very well.

Steve... you got a nice set up and it sounds like it will just get nicer. Challenger, huh? I've flown an ASAP Chinook (kinda similar). Sure liked that plane except a TD with no toe brakes made crosswinds tricky sometimes.

Last edited:
ProCoach said:
Steve... you got a nice set up and it sounds like it will just get nicer. Challenger, huh? I've flown an ASAP Chinook (kinda similar). Sure liked that plane except a TD with no toe brakes made crosswinds tricky sometimes.
I hope to one day have a nice "hang out" above the workshop but for now I am spending my money and effort on the RV. Yes, I am currently flying a Challenger II. It is a great deal of fun to fly although not in the same caliber as the RV. There is one Chinook on our airport now and another guy is building one that he has just started on. I hope to get some pictures posted in the next day or two of my hangar. The Challenger might end up being in one or two of the pics.