LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Just wondering if any of you working on the fuselage have had this problem:

I'm going over the plans tonight after running out of AA6-063 x 3/4 x 3/4 and I'm wondering why my numbers aren't adding up and why I'm sitting here holding a 30" piece of angle with about 7 feet of fabricating to do. on the fuselage.

As I understand it, at least on my packing list. There are two pieces of this angle provided.

AA6-063 x 3/4 x 3/4 x 6' (72") (Listed on page 4 of my packing list)
AA6-063 x 3/4 x 3/4 x 9" (Listed on page 5 of my packing list)

I used the 9" piece to make the 8" stiffener n the firewall. That leaves me with 73" of angle (this assumes I didn't toss that 1" piece, which I probably did).

I also fabricated the 705L angle per DWG 20 (for the front of the 705 bulkhead). These pieces were 2 x 16 3/4 for a total of 33 1/2. I cut a 33 9/16 piece from the 6' piece, leaving me with 38 14/32 of angle from that 6' piece.

The problem is, the next bulkhead -- 706-- and the DWGS (21 & 26) tell me to fabricate the following parts:

F 729B 1 x 24 5/32
F 728B 1 x 35 1/2
F 729C 1 x 2 25/32
F 707B 1 x 1 9/32
F 711 D 1 x 6 1/32

By my count, this will reqire another 69 3/4 of this size angle. But as I indicated above, I'm left with only a 38" piece.

I've been through the lists and it doesn't appear as though any of these parts I'm being asked to fabricate have already been fabricated. Can you tell me what I'm missing (aside from 38" of angle, of course)?

I ran short on that AL angle in my QB kit. I just included it in a order. Irritating but, what the heck.

Roberta

I got a bunch left over from the wing kit that made it through the fuselage. Still a fair amount left (several feet) and I am just starting into the finish kit.

Scott
#90598 Finish Kit
N598SD reserved

robertahegy said:
I ran short on that AL angle in my QB kit. I just included it in a order. Irritating but, what the heck.

Roberta
Irritating and expensive. I had to order next day air to get the part I need. You know, one of those fine $5 part, $20 shipping deals.

Seems like one of the few Van's flaws. First time the material provided doesn't match the material required. Oh well.

Order lots of it

If 4' is all you're short, you're in better shape than I was. Once you're out of "kit land" and you're just building as you go, so to speak, i.e. baffles, brackets here and there, stiffeners, camera mounts, doohickeys, etc., you'll need a lot more than 4' to build all that crap. .063x3/4x3/4" angle is a commodity in my shop. :)

Spruce does sell some relatively inexpensive .063" angle, but the stuff Spruce sells is not the same as what Van's sells. The Spruce .063" angle doesn't have a radiused inner corner...it's a square joint. To me that seemed slightly less structurally desirable, let's say, so I used it only on non-critical stuff. I didn't substitute it for any part the plans called for.

Bob...if you haven't ordered your finish kit yet, that would be a great time to include a buttload of AA-063x3/4x3/4 in the big crate. If Van's lets you crate it along with the finish kit, offer that to your local RV buds...they'll probably want some in that order. Just my 2 cents!

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Bob, didn't you get 2 12-foot 063 angles with the wing kit? Use 'em.

At one point, I went through all the drawings.. and added up all "fabricate from xxx angle..." -- they came out OK .. eg. Van's supplied sufficient total length (when you account the stuff that came in the wing kit).

Radomir: You know. With all the warnings about not chopping angle with the Wings kit, I put all that stuff away for fear I'd hack a longeron. I'll go take a look in the monring.

Dan: No, I haven't ordered the finish kit yet (fuselage is going a little fater than I'd expected too). Thanks for the tip on ordering the extra angle.

//If you build the airplane to plans, there is enough angle in the wing and fuse kit to do the job. If you set material aside and don't use it...guess what? You won't have enough. That's not Van's fault. And if you order more, because you don't use what you have, or build extra stuff that's not on the plans, well yes, shipping long skinny things is expensive and if you just have to have it, you'll pay.

No, that's right, if I don't use parts they send, it's not Van's fault. However, I do think it's possible to be a little more clear about what parts go with what. I think if you order a wing kit and there are parts in there that are for the fuselage kit, I suppose it wouldn't cost a lot of money to say "hey, put this .063 angle aside for the fuselage."

Similarly, if the price of words isn't going up, it wouldn't take much to put in the narrative or on the plans that certain material was sent two years ago (in my case).

//The warnings in the wing kit apply to the longeron angle. .063 is not longeron angle.

Yes, I know that.

//It's shipped with the wing kit because they can throw it in the long skinny box they already use for the wing spar and save the buyer money over building another long skinny box with the fuselage kit.

That's fine. I think what I would do is add a couple of words that say "hey! We're shipping this angle to you. It goes with the fuselage kit but we're sending it to you now because it'll fit in the long skinny box."
That's not asking much, when you get right down to it.