Tandem46

Well Known Member
Check out the wide and varied on-line engine oil prices. I don't get it. These are huge differences:

AeroShell W100 Plus Aviation Oil - 12 Quart Case

www.oil-store.com $42.69

www.aircraftspruce.com $56.60

www.mypilotstore.com $76.00!!!!! (They show a list price of $91.00, which is crossed out as though $76 is a great deal).

I bought five cases today from a distributor in Mobile AL for an out-the-door price of $56.08 per case (tax and credit card fee).

The oil-store has the best price but said they have to ship each case individually at a cost of $11 per case. That obviously eliminates any savings. They're located in Mars, PA. Anyone living near them would benefit by driving out of their way to pick up several cases.

I know Sam's did carry Aeroshell, but I've checked all the ones within a 100 miles of me and apparenlty they're not carrying it anymore or at least not currently.

I'd check several distributors. I bought 100W Plus for $46/cs from a local distributor near Akron, OH.

Mike

Shipping...

I buy my Aeroshell from a local distributor. The savings on shipping and the instant service makes it a deal.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Don't forget shipping....

If you are going to compare prices, shipping and/or tax is part of the price unless you can find a local dealer. We have a flat fee of between free and no more than $7.95 for ground shipping regardless of order size or weight (within the 48 contiguous states). Aircraft Spruce would charge about $18.00/case to ship to Pescagoula, MS (39595). That makes the difference much less "dramatic" ($74.60 vs. $78.95) for a case. However, oil store has a pretty sweet price which is even less than you got it for locally even after shipping.

The wholesale price of aeroshell oil has increased fairly significantly in the last couple of months which is a one reason for the big price differences. For those that still have stock bought at the old prices, they can offer much better prices.

Corbin Glowacki
MyPilotStore

However, oil store has a pretty sweet price which is even less than you got it for locally even after shipping.
Yeah, I don't know how oil-store.com is doing it. Either they move ALOT of oil, or they have really old oil at old prices. :confused:

Last edited:
oil

A couple or three years back I bought a 'pallet' of Shell W100 from a local distributor, it was about $24 a case. Must have been 30+ cases?
Now I here the W100 is not good for Lycomings? I just flew a 34 hour trip to Washington, Idaho, and return, to Texas. My engine needed two make up qts. Both airplanes runs great and checks normal, at Spectro.
I still have 9 cases left.
What's with the '+' on the W100?

Jay,

This is off the net on W100 Plus:

AeroShell Oil W 100 Plus is a single grade ashless dispersant (AD) oil that brings together the best qualities of two of the country?s best selling four-cycle aviation oils. Is has the ashless dispersant single grade performance found in AeroShell Oil W 100 and the antiwear/anticorrosion additives of AeroShell Oil W 15W-50 multigrade. Its advanced additives work against engine wear, rust and corrosion in a way no other single grade does. AEROSHELL OIL W 100 PLUS IS ESPECIALLY EFFECTIVE IN PROTECTING CRITICAL CAM AND LIFTERS IN ALL ENGINES. There simply is no better single grade aviation oil.

What oil to use?

Jay,
'What oil to use' is right up there with the primer
arguments around here. I've asked mechanics,
engine builders and long time aircraft owners
for info on what type of oil they use and get
a lot of different answers. For the record,
my current engine builder recommends changing
Aeroshell W 100 with one half a can of Avblend every 50 hours,
and a filter change and the other half can of
Avblend every 25 hours. This is for an O-360 with
steel cylinders and under 100 hours/year usage.

I'd take the Aeroshell W 100 off your hands, if I lived closer.
Tom

oil

Tom,

I have a Cessna 140 and a Super Cub 180. I fly them a bunch. So i will use up the W100 up on them. The new RV8 is breaking in, 31 hours so far and has Phillips? something in it. what ever Americas Engines recomended...
Yep, like primer, I am so confused???????
Most things you hear, say, if you fly a lot, the engines last longer. I try to burn lots of avgas.

Tobin,

Starting a thread on airport cars....your new hanger...