AussieRV

Hi all,

Firstly - wishing you all a very happy and safe 2011 :p

OK ... yesterday i started the verticle stabilizer and when i cleco'd my VS-808 and VS-803 i found a mis-alignment by almost 1/8 inch. I did a search on the VAF site but couldn't locate any information with the same problem. I was going to contact Vans but decided to start with this site instead.

My questions ...

1. Has anyone experienced similar?
2. Is there a knock-on effect with alignement of Rudder?
3. What do you recommend?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Many thanks,

Matt

Draw some centerlines-like the old kits

I would first ask,"how well does the plate line up with the rest of the spar channel?" Is it evenly spaced above that area? Then draw centerlines or at least measure to see which part (or both?) is not evenly made. It looks like you are off on one side about 3/32 of an inch, so double that error maybe, and you have narrowed the bottom by 3/16 of an inch if you file it down. I doubt that it would be a critical amount to worry about. However, I don't have plans in front of me to double check that.

I am not familiar with the term "knock on." Must be an Australian thing?

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Measuring and finding out which one is not symetrical is, I think, important. If it is the 808 (reinforcing) that is out, then I dont think it is a big deal, however if the 803 (channel) is not symetrical then the knock on effect is that it will offset the bottom hinge for the rudder which would cause some pain in the future.

By observation of the position of the clecoes(relative to the edge in the photo) and by measuring the photo on the screen, it looks to me that the offending part is the VS-808, so providing the holes in the VS-803 are centred, no big deal, as they say, build on.

Last edited:
AussieRV

By looking carefully at your first photo I am almost certain that the problem lies with the reinforcing, so no big deal, but looking at your last photo just be sure that the edge does not foul the radius of the channel. If you are not sure what I mean contact me on 0418837095, notice I am in Oz as well.:)

Thanks all for your responses.

I did attempt the flip prior to posting the problem so i didn't look like a complete pelican. I can confirm that it is the 808 thats out ... it starts fine up top then tends to swing out at the bottom. As per the cleco arrangement, all the wholes line up.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z401/matt-ally/4.jpg

The really disappointing thing is that i spent a few hours getting the 808 finished to a level which hopefully represents the finished aircraft only to have the floor open up when i cleco'd the sucker in. I may still contact VANS to see if they will be kind enough to supply me another one.

Cheers,

Matt

Edge distance

Hi Matt,

I'm not familiar with the part your working on, if there are no other issues and the ED (edge distance) is OK I'd say that the part 808 should be OK to use. You might need to do some trimming on the excessive ED side.

The rule of thumb needed for fasteners, bolts and rivets, you need a minimum of 2D, 2 times fastener diameter, for an acceptable ED, I normally go with 2.5D for an extra safety margin. If your installing interference fastener such as HiLoc's the absolute minimum ED is 1.7D.

Hope that help's you decide what to do.

Cheers,

Hi Matt,

Hope all is well with you and the family - happy new year. It is good to catch your post here since I seem to have only your old work contact details.

Glad to see you have made a start to the kit!

It looks to me like you have <2D edge distance on some of those holes so Vans will probably be happy to replace the part. But - what would SP have said?

Best regards,
Doug Gray
See this website for some details of my RV-6:
http://bypass.dyndns-free.com/