kbehrent

Well Known Member
I'm currently starting on my canopy and I'm wanting to do the tip-up/slider mod in order to get better access to the baggage area and my extended baggage compartment.

I see that there are two tip-up/slider mods being offered up for sale at www.aircraftextras.com (Meske MTS-1 $179.00 and John Wards JTS-1 $225).

John Wards mods has lots of detail part shots available at his website (www.jrwenginereering.com), however the Meske version has very little detail except for the token picture after the installation with little to no detail.

Anybody have any experience with these mods and what are your opinions of them. Also, is there any other tip-up/slider options out there?

Thanks,
Kevin

I just slotted the roller rails in the back where you can lift the canopy completely off. Works well without a lot of hassle, cost nothing.

Kevin
I have the older Meske kit. It works very well but there are a few small things I don't like. It looks like the John Ward kit has addressed those. I would go with the Ward design if I did it again.

Cam

Chuck, Cam

Thanks for the response. I like the detail pictures of the John Ward version, but now that I examine it, I don't like the support rod placement (center). My upper baggage compartment panel is on a hinge and I have a removable shelf. With the support rod being placed in the center of the baggage compartment panel, it would get in the way of me getting access to that compartment.

The Meske version is rather vague in detail. I do like that the support rod folds down across the center bulkhead, behind the seats. Ideally, I would like to use the components from the John Ward and place the support rod along the side like the Meske.

I would really appreciate any detail pictures of the Meske installation that shows the parts and what mods were necessary to for it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Chuck, Cam

Thanks for the response. I like the detail pictures of the John Ward version, but now that I examine it, I don't like the support rod placement (center). My upper baggage compartment panel is on a hinge and I have a removable shelf. With the support rod being placed in the center of the baggage compartment panel, it would get in the way of me getting access to that compartment.

The Meske version is rather vague in detail. I do like that the support rod folds down across the center bulkhead, behind the seats. Ideally, I would like to use the components from the John Ward and place the support rod along the side like the Meske.

I would really appreciate any detail pictures of the Meske installation that shows the parts and what mods were necessary to for it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you some photos.

I agree that the center prop rod could be a problem. I can load a big backpack in mine without having to worry about it getting hung up. The prop rod would make things a bit tricky.

Slider tip-up conversion

Does anyone have any information on John Ward's tip-up modification kit? Is it a modification of Meske's kit? A search of the forums came up with a link which is no longer valid. :confused:
Thanks!

I have the JRW kit on my 7A

The quality of the machining and anodizing is excellent. Good instructions made the install easy. I don't see why you couldn't modify the prop rod to work from the cross bar, but the JRW setup is very sturdy. Locks in place to prevent wind gust damage. My wife has a small electric scooter that I can easily load with the JRW prop in place. Without the slider / tip up, I could never get it in (unless I totally removed the canopy - interesting idea for very occasional use).

OT

Is there a way to "subscribe" to a thread without posting a reply in the thread? (This reply is to subscribe to this thread :rolleyes:)

Is there a way to "subscribe" to a thread without posting a reply in the thread? (This reply is to subscribe to this thread :rolleyes:)

subscribetothread.jpg

At the top of the thread, look for the "Thread Tools" pull down menu...

The quality of the machining and anodizing is excellent. Good instructions made the install easy. I don't see why you couldn't modify the prop rod to work from the cross bar, but the JRW setup is very sturdy. Locks in place to prevent wind gust damage. My wife has a small electric scooter that I can easily load with the JRW prop in place. Without the slider / tip up, I could never get it in (unless I totally removed the canopy - interesting idea for very occasional use).

It sounds perfect. I fear that John may no longer be making this kit. I haven't had any success with a Google search for the kit. If he's opted out of doing this, would someone be willing to send me some good Photos?

It sounds perfect. I fear that John may no longer be making this kit. I haven't had any success with a Google search for the kit. If he's opted out of doing this, would someone be willing to send me some good Photos?
click on http://www.jrwengineering.com/index.html
to go to John's website. If you go to the "Contact" page on his website you can send him an email or call the phone number listed.

John is good to work with. I purchased his slider/tipper mod from the http://www.aircraftextras.com/Tip-Up2.htm website. I had a problem with some of the components. Once I contacted John via telephone and explained the situation he fixed the problem quickly. I love the mod. It really works well.

I have the Meske mod installed in my still unfinished plane and it seems good. I agree, the instructions were difficult - very well drawn diagrams, but a couple of pictures would have saved time and avoided a lot of head scratching. Of course, now that I am done, it all makes sense. Meske was great to work with - I messed up a part and he sent me two replacements at no charge.

I would also recommend adding the canopy shade.