SmittysRV

Well Known Member
2 things? I love it and I love it!

People often ask me ?Are you really going to fly something you built??. After rolling my eyes and mustering the dirtiest look I can, I tell them that this aircraft building project is the most fun I have had in many, many years.

It makes me feel like a kid again, sitting at my little desk in my bedroom with a plastic Revell World War II P-51 kit scattered everywhere and the smell of glue wafting through the air. My room, other than the un-made bed and dirty clothes thrown everywhere, had model airplanes sitting on their stands on every available surface. Not to mention the squadron hanging from the ceiling.

THAT feeling of satisfaction that comes from ?putting something together? returns every evening when I come home from work and open the garage to see this ?real? airplane slowly coming together into a beautiful work of art.

Have a goodun!

Indeed. So many people are really missing out aren't they.

There are few things more soothing to the soul than shuffling out to the garage for a couple of hours in the evening to fabricate some little part from angle stock or pull a couple more wires. Maybe you even find yourself (myself) watching more TV than building, but with a piece of something in hand that you are "working" on.

Unfortunately, the experience changes when your project moves to the hangar. No climate control and most likely a commute to get there and back. One flying and one building is the way to go.

bulding process

My goal was to own a plane, i started off, a little quickly, buying a lsa plane. It was a tecnam and was actually a kind of cool little plane. The deal fell through due to some weird things that came up closing day. Then, i decided to slow down, and get a real plane. Some of the oldtimers where really busting my chops about buying a "toy plane with a snowmobile engine" The vans planes really got me thinking...and it was so easy to order the tail and get things rolling. In less than a year, i have learned so many new skills, spent a ton of time getting to know my father in law better (helping to build and he is retired), adjusted my work schedule so i am more "productive" in the time there so i can afford to take build days, and got my kids thinking about dad building a real airplane and getting excited about flying in it one day. I agree Smitty, what could be better. It is overwhelming to learn all these things....but in a couple years i will be a pretty smart guy! Others sit and watch tv for hours a day or find other ways to burn up time...i truly believe plane builders are some of the best folks around. Smart, ambitious, friendly and a little different, not being happy being "normal" Haha. But all top notch. I have never met one builder yet, who was not quick to lend a hand or offer their advice. It seems all have had to have so much help during thier builds, that it is a given, that they give freely back to the next set of builders. Keep pounding. All the best.

Xmas party topic....

I went to a friend's Christmas party last night and was introduced to several people as "the airplane guy that I told you about".

What's not to like about that? :)

Best hobby on Earth.

b,
dr

This morning I am gluing up an aileron for my biplane project.
This afternoon I'm gonna take my -9 out for about an hour in the local area.
In between, I'll get some family stuff done.

Building and flying.
Wish I could do it everyday.

Need a project

I finished my plane a year ago and have been having a great time flying. I miss the building more than I thought, though. I think it is that accomplishment factor at the end of each evening. My plan was to work on my 1946 Cessna 140 (new wiring and new interior) after finishing my RV. Just started that project and it feels good to be working in the shop again but not as good as homebuilding. I can not do what ever I want on the Cessna as I have to ask my IA what will get approved and need to fill out 337 forms etc. Do not like asking permission to make something better that comes with certified planes (especially the antiques). I can not replace the old fuses with circuit brakers or the leaky fule valve with a new one with out lots of paper work and approvals.

Dead On

2 things? I love it and I love it!

People often ask me ?Are you really going to fly something you built??. After rolling my eyes and mustering the dirtiest look I can, I tell them that this aircraft building project is the most fun I have had in many, many years.

It makes me feel like a kid again, sitting at my little desk in my bedroom with a plastic Revell World War II P-51 kit scattered everywhere and the smell of glue wafting through the air. My room, other than the un-made bed and dirty clothes thrown everywhere, had model airplanes sitting on their stands on every available surface. Not to mention the squadron hanging from the ceiling.

Smitty- You must have seen my bedroom. However the smells were dirty clothes mixed in with the smell of model airplane dope.

Build on........................

Nothing Like the Smell of Primer in Morning

There is certainly nothing like the smell of primer in the morning.

The piercing sound of the rivet gun...ratdatdat.

The soothing sound of a whirling hand drill...

Essentially saturating the senses with all that building an airplane has to offer - and in the end, what is it all for?

The Fame, The Fortune, an interview with Barbara Walters?

< INSERT DRAMATIC BACKGROUND MUSIC HERE >

No... it's the satisfaction in knowing that you built something extraordinary with your own hands. Even with all the trials, frustration and uncertainty... in the end, it may be one of the greatest accomplishments of your life. Daring to dream and unlike most, actually pursue this dream.

We are members of an elite group, albeit glutton for punishment, we have a common thread....we do not sit idly by on the sidelines of life. No, we strap on a parachute and jump head first into the unknown abyss, unaware and unafraid.

Vote for Pedro!

Last edited: