LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
You're flying halfway across the country with not a lot of spare weight in the baggage area (because of luggage etc).

You've got a bag that's a little bigger than a toolbox to stuff emergency tools. You've already stuffed some duct tape in there and a replacement gas cap... a Phillips screwdriver, a flat head screw driver, and a pair of needle nose pliers in there.

What else?

Whatever you need to get your wheelpants off.

Whatever you need to get your cowl off.

Electronic gadget to connect to the internet to call for VAF help!

A spare tire tube is a must have! That's saved my bacon (and others I've been on trips with) three times over the years.

After making a couple trips abroad and after having found (luckly in my hangar) one main wheel down, I decided to add:
- a spare nose tube;
- a spare main gear tube;
- some mixed screws (fairings and cowl: I lost a couple of screws from fairings during 150 hours).

Enough tools to get the plugs out and the wheels off.

Sounds as though you already have the bag but I like those cheap camera bags you get on eBay. They are the right size and are usually padded. This keeps the baggage area happy.

Last edited:
Duct tape can cover a number of things. In a pinch it can serve as a fuel cap and even patch a tube :)

I agree with Tony and include a small solution for removing a plug and carry a spare plug.

I agree with Vlad and include a coil of safety wire.

I agree with Paul on the 'electronic gadget' ... I often fly with more than one :eek:

I have a baggy with a few screws, a few small tie-wraps, and a spare cowl fastener.

Define the likely failures and what is needed to repair that may not be at an FBO.

Example: Nose tire flat. Tube. Allen wrench.

I carry a lot but am solo.

You should consider putting tools, etc in a small container that is secured on the front floorboard in front of the spar.

Carry less luggage if need be.

It is a trade-off.

You can get smaller, lighter weight rolls of duct tape at Menard's for a buck or so. I also carry a Stanley interchangeable screwdriver, that gives me Phillips #1 and #2, and large and small regular heads ...weighs only a tad more than a good size phillips - it was $3.00 at Farm & Fleet. I also have a Chinese-copy leatherman tool in the kit, which I've tried out a couple of times ... and it works good enough for an emergency-only kit.
Haven't put a plug wrench in there yet because of weight.

I only carry one screwdriver, but it is actually about 8 or 9 tools in one. Two sizes of phillips, two sizes of slot, and various size nut drivers also.

http://www.kleintools.com/sites/kleintools/files/tool-catalog/07-Screwdrivers-NutDrivers-Catalog.pdf

I carry a 1/4" drive socket set and driver, and an assortment of bits for it, screwdriver, hex, torx, etc.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...d=-1&storeId=10051&searchNav=true#/?c=1&rd=rd

Needle nose and slip joint pliers.

Other stuff as listed in prior posts.

Last edited:
Another consideration is your stops. If the airport has one or more FBOs, you should have access to tools that you do not carry.

Land at an unattended airport and you may have issues.

I check Airnav and do not land at those noted as Unattended....even for cheap fuel.

So if I'm packing a spare tube, I should also pack the Avery jack and a bottle jack. Man, that's a lot of weight.
You don't necessarily need the jack, but you will need the jackpoint cones that screw into the tie-down holes. The FBO probably has a jack, but they probably don't have the jackpoints.

lightweight jack

Find a scissor jack from an older Porsche 911. They are all-aluminum except for the acme screw and weigh next to nothing, guessing 3lbs. I bolted mine to one of the floor ribs in my Rocket and its relatively easy to remove via a door in the baggage floor. Had a friend last year have a flat and it was about a mile walk to the FBO, and they didn't have a jack so I crawled under the wing and lifted it literally with my back while he took the tire off and threw a couple of chocks under the axle. A few experiences over the years have dictated that a jack needs to be std. equipment...you won't wish you had one until you really need it.

A spare tire tube is a must have! That's saved my bacon (and others I've been on trips with) three times over the years.

You must travel with my buddies! ;)

Carry a $5 (?) mini 12v air compressor bought at Harbor Freight. Helped with my tire-challenged friend once.