TerryPancake

Well Known Member
I have ordered from them before and seemed to really want my business. Last month, on may 15, I ordered more than 500 hundred dollars worth of tools. The main one was only $450. That item was back ordered, which nobody bothered to let me in on that fact until I called 2 weeks after they got my order. OK, I do understand they can't control their suppliers. I have made two call since then and they really don't seem very concerned to keep me in the loop. I know other people have had good/great luck with them. They just really aren't over-achievers when it comes to customer communication. At least they have not tried with me.
Too bad for them..

Last edited:
Good to me

I wanted a VAF hat so I ordered that and a book. Someone from there called right away and told me the book was back ordered and did I want my hat shipped right away. I of course said, "No, ship it complete." It all arrived in about 2 weeks.

I usually don't order from places in Texas but Avery has VAF hats. :)

I ordered about $250 worth of odds and ends from Avery a week ago. It came several days later and even had a free VAF hat in the box that I didn't notice was included with orders over $100.

Sounds to me like you're experiencing just a simple glitch in an otherwise good company with a good ordering system in place. That doesn't make them a bad company to deal with.

Sid Lambert said:
I wanted a VAF hat so I ordered that and a book. Someone from there called right away and told me the book was back ordered and did I want my hat shipped right away. I of course said, "No, ship it complete." It all arrived in about 2 weeks.

I usually don't order from places in Texas but Avery has VAF hats. :)
Maybe, I was spending too much money with them. Maybe if I spent le$$ they would have cared. I dunno. I was hoping for my free VAF stuff. Not anymore. :cool:
Thanks Sid.
T

Highflight said:
I ordered about $250 worth of odds and ends from Avery a week ago. It came several days later and even had a free VAF hat in the box that I didn't notice was included with orders over $100.

Sounds to me like you're experiencing just a simple glitch in an otherwise good company with a good ordering system in place. That doesn't make them a bad company to deal with.
Vern, I do think I experienced a glitch, well, four glitches. I am not saying they are bad, just my experience this time was less than desirable. I made all the calls for my order. The lady told me yesterday that she though Sioux was probably going to be out of business anyway. :rolleyes:

P.S They were very nice every time I called. Just that I had to call.

Last edited:
william weesner said:
I ordered a couple hundred dollars of stuff this week. i looked up the items in the 2006 catalog and her total was about 75 more than mine :eek: we'll see where the difference was when it gets here. ATS has them beat on any item IF they have it. i rellly like ATS but they just doesnt have the same stuff. :( maybe the hat isnt free after all :rolleyes: tanstafl
ATS? All Tire Supply? Association of Theological Schools?

Last edited:
Anyone for a piece of pie?

I am going to make myself a nice "humble pie". Mr Avery from Avery Tools just called me and bent over back words to say they dropped the ball on communication with me. WOW, if that is not customer service, I don't know what is! How often would a company owner call to say, "I am sorry about what happend and I really want to make it right"? That is customer service!
Mr Avery, Thank you so very much!

Avery's Great!

I have had excellent service from Avery. Bought most of my RV tools from them. Friendly service, fast shipping.

John

I too have had excellent service from Avery. I think your experience was just one of the glitches that happens every once in awhile no matter how hard people try, so I wouldn't hold one bad experience against them.

I do believe that there is a problem getting Souix tools that is being experienced by Avery as well as the other suppliers.

Paul, you are right about Sioux. I have been looking for and at the drill for a while and yes, everybody is having trouble getting tools from Sioux.
It was definitely one unintentional glitch. They have in their hearts the intent on running a good business. Hence, the personal call to me from Mr Avery.
T

I'll admit, I'm one of those "Texas guys", and often times drive over to Avery's to pick up this or that, so I may be a little biased.

But I've got to tell you, Bob and his team are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life, and stand out in the "RV community", which in my mind, is a pretty helpful and friendly bunch to begin with. Hands down, they are my first choice when I need a tool--despite the 8%+ sales tax I have to pay. I'll even take a minor price hit to support his business. I'll even pay the shipping to get it across the Metro-plex...though they often have free ground shipping.

I'm not surprised one bit that Bob called you to apologize and assure you he would fix any perceived problem. Just the kind of guy he is, and the kind of company he runs.

Give it another chance...you won't be disappointed.

Joe

jferraro16 said:
Give it another chance...you won't be disappointed.

Joe
Thanks Joe. You can bet I will. When I shop for anything price is always a part of the equation. But the second larger thing to me is customer service. Anybody can sell anything but when or if something goes wrong, how the business handles the problem is a true test of a good business.

A few years ago when I needed a lot of tools, I stopped at Avery's booth
at OSH after the airshow started. A couple of gentlemen operating the booth
answered my many novice questions. I ordered my tools from them.
I've used them all.
I found out later that I was being helped by Bob Avery and Jay Pratt.

Talk about experience,
Tom

In 1996 I was building the wings of my RV6A and ordered the special dimple dies for the tank plate nuts and a catalog from Bob Avery. Usually when I ordered tools from Averys on a Monday they arrived in France by the Friday. After a week or so the tools did not arrive I called Averys who confirmed they had been shipped so I waited another week but still no tools.

After another call to Averys they agreed to ship the parts again and this time they turned up at my house within a week.

You can imagine my surprise when the first set of tools although somewhat rusty together with a sad looking catalog turned up about 6 months or so later with a letter from the FAA.

Apparently the tools had been shipped on TWA700 which was the 747 that blew up over Long Island. The tools had been fished out of the sea and after an inspection had been sent on to me.

Just goes to show strange things can happen.

Barry

Barry--

What a story! Reminds me of the movie "Castaway".

I was 10 minutes infront of that 747 that night, piloting a C-141 headed to Germany. I'll never forget the radio chatter around the time it went down...awful, awful feeling.

Joe

FWIW, I have purchased tools from what I consider the "two big RV tool suppliers." I know there are more than two, but I believe there are two primary ones. I definately get far better service from Avery and will continue to do business with them whenever possible.

goodsofar

Well.... back a couple of years ago.. I bought the -8 builders kit... quick service... Bought some stuff an SnF and that was great.... all in stock and great customer service... then I just bought a flange tool..... and a hat... she email'd me the next day and said hat not in stock but would be soon..... and the tool was on the way... Sometimes we just forget our coffee in the mornings... I'm super impressed with the tool quality and selection... ats would fall behind them for sure... but that was as of last year... dunno about this year. Hoping for the best for you!
course... nevermind my 14 grand snapon bill... cough!!!
Brian Wallis
RV-8 kit sold
AA-1A Driver
-4 wannabe

Last edited:
Totally positive Avery experience

I ordered the RV tool kit from Avery, and the person I spoke with was completely helpful in suggesting a few things I might want (after I asked if there is anything else I should consider) and also suggesting to not order a few things that I probably did not need.

I'm sure that she could tell that I was no mechanic, and that seemed to make her extra patient and hospitable.

Perhaps many here will identify with this, but when the tools arrived, it was just like Christmas!

While I suspect that the other big tool houses are just fine in quality and service, I'll choose to stick with Avery.