RV10builder

I'm New Here
My father and I are building an RV-10 and we have a decent N-Number reserved, however, yesterday I went online and noticed that there is a really short, really cool, N-Number that we would rather have. When I did a search by name, the person who owns it is parked on something like 20 N-Numbers, all just being reserved, none actually on an airplane. It looks to me like this guy is running a side business of gobbling up N-Numbers and then selling them.

If he has the N-Number I want, how much is an N-Number worth? Does anybody else have experience with this? What is the process of getting the N-Number transferred from him to me if I offer him what he's after?

I realize this is somewhat subjective, but the whole concept intrigues me.

Thanks
Jon
40514 - wings
N475R Reserved

Report it first.

First I would report him to the FAA. They may not realize what he is doing. They should limit the number of times an individual can reserve a N number.

RV10builder said:
(snip)
If he has the N-Number I want, how much is an N-Number worth? Does anybody else have experience with this? What is the process of getting the N-Number transferred from him to me if I offer him what he's after?

I realize this is somewhat subjective, but the whole concept intrigues me.
(snip)
N475R Reserved

It's worth whatever you (or someone else) is willing to pay for it.

Years ago, I remember Peter Lert writing about the N-number on his sailplane, N1KE.

A large corporation approached him and they reached an agreement that included a new paint job (with an N-number change) and IIRC a lifetime supply of running shoes.

That n-number is flying on a gulfstream operated by or for the Nike corporation.

There's no limit that I'm aware of as long as you continue to pay the renewal fee each year. I actually had reserved about four numbers for my Rocket until the owner of my RV-6 called me and told me he was releasing my original N-number and wanted to know if I wanted it back. So I've had the same number on two different experimentals.

You can call the FAA in Ok city and they can coordinate a switch for you if the guy is willing to release it.

Large Sums somtimes!

I know a fellow who was paid $10,000.00 for the n-number off his old airplane!

Prior to 1976 the government approched the owner of J-3, N1776, and asked for the N-number to put on Air Force One. The owner turned them down and if you check, N1776 is still on that J-3.

I guess, the government didn't have enough money for him.

N941WR said:
Prior to 1976 the government approched the owner of J-3, N1776, and asked for the N-number to put on Air Force One. The owner turned them down and if you check, N1776 is still on that J-3.

I guess, the government didn't have enough money for him.

/rant on/
are you kidding... the gov't is way broke...

they're constantly robbing peter to pay paul and needing to borrow tons of money on top of that!

It is both financially and morally bankrupt. /rant off/

jmo

John

oh well

As a point of reference, I made the holder of the N-Number an offer in the hundreds (what it is worth to me) and he wrote back looking for something in the many multiples of thousands. Oh well, I still like the one I already have reserved.

Walt said:
How hard is it to change N numbers?
It's a piece of cake. I found a short, sweet number I liked, reserved it, completed the registration change form and mailed it in. Removed old numbers and applied new ones. As I recall a carbon copy of the change form was my temporary registration until receiving the revised copy. May have cost a few bucks.

The new number is *much* better than that old birthday, lotto number, initials thing!

Low Pass said:
It's a piece of cake. I found a short, sweet number I liked, reserved it, completed the registration change form and mailed it in. Removed old numbers and applied new ones. As I recall a carbon copy of the change form was my temporary registration until receiving the revised copy. May have cost a few bucks.

The new number is *much* better than that old birthday, lotto number, initials thing!

at least on certified aircraft, there is another step -- you have to get a dar to issue a new airworthiness certificate. not sure what the experimental rules are. mel?

john

Yep, Experimentals too. Your Airworthiness Certificate, Operating Limitations, and Registration all must match, EXACTLY!

It was easy...

johnp said:
at least on certified aircraft, there is another step -- you have to get a dar to issue a new airworthiness certificate. not sure what the experimental rules are. mel?

john

I recently went through this on a certified plane (my Tiger).

You do have to request that the Registration Branch in OK City assigns the reserved N number to a specific aircraft first.

Then I called the Scottsdale FSDO... they asked for a written request, along with the FAA letter that said I had the new N-number assigned to my aircraft.

A new airworthiness certificate came in the mail less than a week later.... and they didn't even want the old one returned... :)

I was really surprised how easy the whole process was, given that the Airworthness Certificate is a big deal....

gil in Tucson

If you find an N number you really want and it is registered you might try contacting he owner anyway. I found "9JW" (RV-9A Jim Wright) was registered but thought it would make a great number for my plane. I contacted the owner which turned out to be the widow of an aeronautical engineer. She had no idea the number was still registered in his name from back in the 70's. She was an elderly lady but still very sharp. I explained to her why I wanted the number and she was so kind to go to all the effort in having the number transferred to her name as the heir-at-law to her late husband's estate and then doing the extra paperwork all over again to transfer the reserved number to my name. What a great lady. I don't know if anyone remembers her husband. He did research for NASA in the 70's and I think he worked on shuttle type projects. Maybe Paul has heard the name. He was Julian Wolkovitch.

Joined Wings...

rv9aviator said:
What a great lady. I don't know if anyone remembers her husband. He did research for NASA in the 70's and I think he worked on shuttle type projects. Maybe Paul has heard the name. He was Julian Wolkovitch.

A quick Google search shows he patented the Joined Wing concept.... IIRC some homebuilts were made with this concept.

A sad end to his commercial endeavours caused by a TX gunman killing his partner and then leukemia.... :(

http://www.unmannedsystems.com/Pages/history.html

gil in Tucson