kentb

Well Known Member
I am selling my C172 and someone ask me to sell it without the engine as he wanted to upgrade from 160 to 180 hp.

So what would a O-320-E2D with 550 hour sense MOH be worth?

I know that this is all guessing, but I could average out to get some kind of an idea.

Kent

We'll need more information to really even guess

Engine total time?

How long ago was it overhauled?

New limits or?

I am selling my C172 and someone ask me to sell it without the engine as he wanted to upgrade from 160 to 180 hp.

So what would a O-320-E2D with 550 hour sense MOH be worth?

I know that this is all guessing, but I could average out to get some kind of an idea.

Kent

Hi Kent,

I think a lot of factors dictate price. If I were looking at one, I'd want to know who did the overhaul and to what limits, and if the entire process was properly documented by an A&P with a good reputation.

I looked at an RV project to buy, advertised as a "complete overhaul". No way to know since the "A&P" got in trouble with FAA because of a backyard shop and had not even signed the logbook. Needless to say, killed the deal.

Jerry

Wilsonville, OR
RV-6a N18XP Flying a year

Last edited:
More engine info

The overhaul was done by Premier Aircraft at the Troutdale, Oregon airport and cost me $16,000.00.
They do lots of engine work and are well thought of.

It has been about 4 year and 550 hours sense the overhaul. At the time of overhaul the engine was upgraded from 150hp to 160hp. I also had them add the oil filter at that time. The plane is always hangared and has regular oil changes. All logs are there and the total time on the engine is 5400 hr.

All compressions are good (mid 70's).

Kent

Probably get more money selling to to someone who needs that certified engine to go in a certified airplane. I think the RV community would net you no more than $10K max because the trend is to go non certified and save money. Nothing wrong with saving money.... like for gas!

The engine (since it's certified) can go back to Lyc with a runout core value of $12,400. To a person with a 172 that needs a O-320-E2D (they don't have a rebuildable core) It could be worth at least $17K or more.

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/utility/global-resources/2008-Lycoming-Service-Engine-Price-List.pdf

Last edited:
Kent

YOU are SELLING YOUR aeroplane, so SELL it to him, dont just give in to a pushy customer.

If he wants a 180HP..... let him buy yours as a going concern, at a fair price, and fly it away and maybe fly it for some time, and he can trade the engine on his 180HP when he is ready.

He gets the plane he wants, and then the engine he wants and he does the engine trade.

Ever tried to buy a car from a care dealer saying...... nahhh how about you sell me the car because i want to fit a XXXXX engine? I think they would tell you to ##### off in a polite way ;)

He wants it..... let him take the risk and so on with the engine deal.

Remember....... The Customer is very RARELY right..... you just have to make hime feel like he is.

David.

The rest of the picture.

If you use the $10.00 an hour rule it usually comes out fairly close. So $10.00 per hour of life left is $12,500.00.

Not having a mechanical fuel pump boss is a drawback for the RV crowd but that's easily remedied with another accessory case, pump, plunger, and drive gear.

What's the rest of the picture? What's the market on the 172? What's he offering for the airframe? Can you use the engine in another project(ie... repeat offender). I'm sure you've thought of these points but...

I recently dropped the price to $39,900.00. The guy that called said that he has done conversions on 172 before and tried to not have more then $30,000.00 invested in the hull. He was unsure what he could get for my engine after he pulled it out. I didn't know what to tell him for what it would be worth. I am taking advantage of the groups experience and expertise and doing his research for him.

I would never sale the plane without the engine in it. Removal and sales of the engine would be his problem, I just wanted to get some idea if his approach would be doable.

It looks to me he could pay my asking price and sale the engine and still be into the airframe at his $30,000.00 price.

Thank for the help everyone.

If anyone is interested in more info on the plane check it out here.

http://www.web-ster.com/byerley/N7090G.htm

Kent