David-aviator

Well Known Member
Copied from another thread....

Go for the CFI....you'll be amazed at what you'll learn, plus you can then get (not so easily) a LODA to do transition training.

Best,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

OK, Pierre, give us a briefing on a LODA.
There are a couple guys around here who could use some stick time in an RV before flying their machines and I could provide it, but I am not spun up on LODA.

Letter Of Deviation Authority

LODA is a "Letter Of Deviation Authority". This is an exemption issued by the FAA authorizing the use of an experimental aircraft for transition flight training.

Letter of Deviation Authority

May be obtained for an experimental aircraft from your local FSDO. It allows you to use an experimental for limited (as spelled out in the letter) commercial purposes. You'll need to provide a syllabus of your proposed instruction/training to FSDO which they will review and approve. Also, your aircraft will be subject to 100 hour inspections (and I believe an initial paperwork review by a FSDO maint. rep). Your insurance will need to be increased substantially to reflect the added liability. Also, if you wish to be listed on the Vans Aircraft site, I believe they're require some sort of review as well for insurance purposes.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

The internal FAA document that shows what all is required for the FSDO to issue an LODA expired in 2008. Thus, with no up to date guidance, the FSDO refuses to issue an LODA that is clearly permitted by FAR. Local office points a finger to the regional office, regional points a finger to D.C., D.C. points a finger at....................?

Ask me how I know.

FWIW, I did call EAA to ask about this situation and they confirmed that this is the current situation. They say that FAA keeps telling them new instructions will be published soon. I talked to Van's and they were not aware of this situation.
I put together a package and submitted it to my FSDO before I was aware of this situation. The inspector called me, told me my application package was great, and then later gave me this bad news.

Me too....

Ask me how I know.

FWIW, I did call EAA to ask about this situation and they confirmed that this is the current situation. They say that FAA keeps telling them new instructions will be published soon. I talked to Van's and they were not aware of this situation.
I put together a package and submitted it to my FSDO before I was aware of this situation. The inspector called me, told me my application package was great, and then later gave me this bad news.

.....after I spoke with a Mr. Newcomer of the Atlanta FSDO an hour ago..."Washington writes the rules, y'know....and it's all on hold right now."

That said, if any of you guys need some -10 time from a CFI, let me know by PM. He was sympathetic and mentioned what a necessary service Transition training is and how it's reduced wreckage and saved lives...blah, blah..but thanked us for a good job in the past with my old -6A.

Best,

Here's what you can do...

OK, Pierre, give us a briefing on a LODA.
There are a couple guys around here who could use some stick time in an RV before flying their machines and I could provide it, but I am not spun up on LODA.[/QUOTE]

If you have friends needing some RV time and you can do it, let them fly with you. You don't need to be a CFI but legally you can't charge for the use of your airplane....that's what the LODA allows you to do. Although you can't sign their logbooks withot being a CFI, the stick time will nevertheless be much better than none, before they fly their own RV, especially landings and takeoffs.

I'm not advocating circumventing any rules here...quite the contrary but we know that transition training works, works well but now our hands are tied by the gummint! Nothing prevents any of us from letting our friends fly and get some RV stick time...I had kind offers while I was builing the -6 and flew mine with no problems. If you have a CFI buddy, get him some RV time and he can give dual and charge for his time, and sign them off.

I've had several guys come down and fly my -10, who are considering buying or building a one and they shared gas money with me...allowed.

Best,

Last edited: