hydroguy2

Well Known Member
I am trying to figure out a fair offer. I am in contact with a builder (Glasair II) who has an extra O-360. It was assembled from new Superior XP parts. 9to1 pistons, flowed & balanced millinium cylinders, hollow crank but set-up for F/P, 3 yrs ago. still on the stand, no accessories. I know the guy and he is meticulous and usually only has the best, so I have no doubt the engine is perfect. He said he has about $17K in it, but would be willing to take less if I made him a fair offer. Money is no object for him, currently he is playing with helicopters. But I also don't know what a fair offer is?

No carb, no starter, no ignition. ??? Also it isn't my first choice for an engine, I was leaning toward a IO-360.

so where do I start?

I know what I'd do.

1. Figure out the price of your first choice engine--say it's $22,500.00

2. Figure out the price of the accessories needed to complete the Glasair engine--say it's $4,000.00

3. Ask yourself how much money you would have to save to make this engine desireable to you--say it's $3,000

4. $22,500 minus $4,000 minus $3,000 equals $15,500

5. If it's worth $3,000 to take this engine instead of your first choice, offer $15,500 or slightly less to have some room for negotiating. If he accepts, great! You've saved some money. If he doesn't accept, you haven't bought an engine you don't really want.

Last edited:
No warranty

Remember that this engine won't have a warranty, where an alternative new one may.

An O-360 with out fuel accessories can be an IO-360 by adding the FI system instead of the carb. So if you wanted an IO, all you have to do is buy the IO system and install it. The base engine with out accessories is the same.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Hi Brian,

Your Welcome!

JMHO but go for the best prop and engine (and warranty) you can afford. These are the things hardest to replace and will be the most valuable in the long run. You can upgrade almost anything else a whole lot easier. Most any good thing you buy for airplanes doesn't come cheap. And KISS rules!!!

Roberta

The more you complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain!
"Scotty"

2-3 years ago I bought a used IO-360 angle valve core with all access but prop gov for $6k. That was a very good price then. I had everything overhauled/insp and when it runs I will have spent another $7k. What is the kitprice for an new ECi motor? As Mahlon said you can easily convert the engine to FI.

Personally,IMHO, I don't put much stock in a warranty for a kit airplane. If the engine is from a reputable source and everything checks out, it is about as good as a new one. After all it has some if not mostly new parts in it. If all is as you indicated, then $15k sounds like a great buy and $16k is reasonable. You can sell the carb to help finance the FI.

Good Luck,

O-360

Remember; you have the O360 with vertical carb, the IO-360 parallel valve, and the IO-360 angle valve versions. The IO360 angle valve engine is supposed to produce 200 hp and has a forward facing fuel injection servo. The other parallel valve engines nominaly produce 180 hp.

The I0-360 angle valve 200 hp engine weighs at least 40+ lbs more than the parallel valve engines. In my opinion the added hp is worth the weight penalty.

My first choice while building was the carbed version of the O-360. I ended up
with an IO-360 angle valve engine out of a Mooney 201. After rebuild, with all parts yellow tagged I had a certified (by a friend with IA) engine for about $12,500. This old retired USAF Msgt got lucky for once!

Thanks to all. I'm pleased to have VAF in order to "think out loud". the riveting is easy, it's the decisions that are hard.

Like I said, I wanted fuel injection, BUT I'm also a frugal person and am willing to compromise...for a price. I also try to be fair and honest dealing with other folks, so don't want to low ball him. Rumor-mill said he may go as low as $12,500.

I'm talking with the A&P/IA that supervised the build next week, plus looking at the paperwork(like I'll understand it). I understand almost everything possible is brand new. We'll see.

Thanks again