MNForrest

Well Known Member
I'm about to order my tail feather kit. Been through all of the possible combinations on the Van's price estimator. So, what did your 9-X cost, really?

I'm looking for advanced VFR, non-certified 160HP, CS prop. I'm painting it myself.

Thanks for the insight!

Forrest

I figure I have about $80k in my 9A at present, not including tools. Mine was a quickbuild (added 9k) and has a new Superior engine. I have two Dynons (100 & 120) plus the autopilot servos (but not the HS34), Garmin 495, Garmin SL30, Garmin 327 plus a few 2.25 gauges as backup. That figure does not include paint (other than the rattle-can paint that covers the pink cowl...). That 80k figure includes all the shipping and trips to the various local aviation aisles for miscellaneous materials. I probably have spent another $5k or so on various tools.

greg

Last edited:
I am working on my finish kit at this point and have my engine. I would expect to have $55,000 when complete if I figured paint supplies and a $10,000 good used engine. I will probably have $60,000 in mine because I will have someone paint it for me. You need to add another $12,000 if buying a new engine. That is also figuring $3,000 in tools. This is my best guess.

Mine cost about $78,000.00.

I paid $16,000 for a rebuild engine, $3500.00 for a rebuilt prop (CS). I over spend on my panel. If you keep the panel simple you could shave $20,000.00 off my price.

Kent

I know of a 9A with a new Superior engine, Hartzell C/S prop, two Dynons, 2 axis Auto-pilot, paint job, and full Classic Aero interior, for around $90,000.

L.Adamson

More expensive in Europe!

My 9A will cost EUR 90.000,- wenn finished (if everthing goes well). That is about $ 126.000,- at the current rate.

It is a "slow build" 9A, glued slider, with a new ECI-Titan OX-320, fuel injection, dual el. ignition, MT CS prop, Dynon EFIS and EMS, Garmin SL30, Intercom, Garmin GTX 328, 450 Mhz ELT, AVMAP GPS, 2 Axis Trutrak ADI Pilot II, CO-Guardian, Back-up instruments, dual battery, dual alternator, Long range tanks, full CAD leather interior and carpets, Aerospace primer inside and out, paint. Also includes tools.

It may seem high, but we have to pay 21% VAT and 2,7% import duties. Also the shipping costs (and insurance and customs fees) are a lot higher, than when you live in the USA.

Kind regards, Tonny.

Last edited:
I don't know for a -9A but a guy I know is almost finished (at the paperwork stage) on his -6.

Overhauled 360 (carb) with Hartzell CS, no efis (6-Pack), Classic Aero interior (sportsman seat with aviator side panels) garmin com and xponder...

Total cost so far around $80K CAD. That's around $65K US right now... And includes both taxes (around 15% combined, at the time)

It does not include tools.

The cost estimator is correct(20k kit + 20k engine + 2k prop, etc etc) except maybe for the instruments + avionics.

I built my slider 9A for

Less than $53k.
Day VFR
New steam gages from Vans with some private purchase
New kits from Vans except private purchase wing kit.
New ECI kit engine from AERO
New Sensenich prop - private purchase
New Garmin comm, xpndr, and PS Eng intercom from Stark
New Classic Sportsman seats

Primer, interior paint, tools, workbenches and wing stand lumber, lighting, oops replacement parts, misc chemicals, oils, grease, ELT, fancy fuel valve handle, etc also included in the price.

It can be done for even less. Ref the May 2008 issue of Kitplanes.

Not yet painted,
Steve

Van's price estimator is pretty accurate. After all, they know more about these airplanes and what they cost than anyone.

You can certainly take their numbers and go +/- 10 or 20 percent if you are a good scrounger or if you're an impulse buyer, but the numbers from the estimator provide a good baseline.

Another data point--$55,000. Used (885 TTSN) O-320, Catto three blade, two axis Trio, AvMap, Dynon D10A & AFS engine monitor. Extras (carbon fiber conopy, Classic interior, etc) brought the price up some, so it could have been done for $50k. Having it painted (very nicely so) only cost about $2k plus paint. The secret was buying the engine and FWF from a 6A damaged in hurricane Charlie.

Bob Kelly

Hi All,

Well here is the details on my 9. Standard kit, I got a 0-320 from a salvage shop for $6500, I did the rebuild for another $3500 mated it with a MT FP prop. A real smooth running combination. I used the flight line interior simple and light weight but looks great. Panel built up with MGL Odyssey and MGL backup instruments Garmin SL-30 and SL40 coms P&S audio and a Garmin GTX327 transponder and a trio 2 axis AP. Had the plane profesionally painted by Saltair in Ormond Beach Florida, Scott did a bang up job on the finish. The total investment in the kit and all the goodies and some not mentioned came to $53,200. For fit and finish I'll place it next to any other RV out there. I went over budget by the cost of the paint job, I have painted 4 other planes but I decided my lungs didn't need the chemical abuse any more.

Hope you all have a good New Year and have fun flying you projects.

John H.

With a Dynon D180, Garmin 320A, Icom 210, and Lowrance 2000c in the panel + an intercom and a few backup flight instruments, Van's cost estimator is within 5%. (In other words, the panel is really the only area where the estimator will mislead you in a significant way. I think I have a pretty "advanced" VFR panel compared to every certified plane I've flown, but others might "need" more and will find that the estimator will not work very well for them.)

FWIW, I am also using a new Aerosport 0-320 and Catto 2-blade.