MS19087

Well Known Member
Friend
I am filling out the paperwork to register my plane . . . kit was purchased in 2006, plane is planned to be complete in 2010. What year do I use - 2006 or 2010?

Thanks!

Officially the date of manufacturer is the year in which the airworthiness certificate is issued.
i.e. That would be 2010.

Officially the date of manufacturer is the year in which the airworthiness certificate is issued.
i.e. That would be 2010.

Correct. Up until the airworthiness certicate is issued, you don't have an "airplane", you have a (choose one: "hobby that is out of control", "mental illness", "passion", "alternate lifestyle") that is legally nothing more than a pile of aluminum scrap.

Scrap aluminum?

Correct. Up until the airworthiness certicate is issued, you don't have an "airplane", you have a (choose one: "hobby that is out of control", "mental illness", "passion", "alternate lifestyle") that is legally nothing more than a pile of aluminum scrap.

I definitely fall into at least one of those categories!

Skyking902001
RV8
Emp.

I got a chuckle when I read your question. I ask the same question to the local
tax folks and the reply was, " good question sir, exactly what year did you finish your airplane"? Duh. Dan

Oddly, the tax folk don't like to hear that I haven't finished yet. "Sir, you have your airworthiness certificate. It's finished." "Airworthy ain'tn't done. Just means most of it will arrive at the landing, including me. Most time's, anyway." (Paraphrasing something one of my uncles used to argue with the 'revenooers', not aircraft related.):D