idleup

Well Known Member
I was planning on using a Garmin 430 with the AF-3500 EFIS. Now that the EFIS has moving map capability I am thinking of just using a GNC-250XL or GNC-300XL which are half the price of the 430. What would I be losing by using one of those two instead of the 430? I figure since the data is all getting fed into the EFIS it may not be worth paying for a 430...

- Matt

1) with the 300 XL TSO you don't get

VOR approaches and en route tracking

ILS approaches

WAAS enabled approaches with the 430W

2) The 250 XL is VFR only so no IFR capability

This is from a quick review of their website so verify.

Last edited:
No VOR

Gil, It says that they are both NAV/COMM/GPS so it would have VOR back-up for the GPS... or are you referring to something else?

- Matt
The GNC 250 and GNC 300 are both GPS/Comm units. Neither have VOR.

1) with the 300 XL TSO you don't get

VOR approaches and en route tracking

ILS approaches

WAAS enabled approaches with the 430W

2) The 250 XL is VFR only so no IFR capability

This is from a quick review of their website so verify.

Ron,
If you paired the 300 XL with a SL30, wouldn't you then be able to get everything but the WAAS approaches on the AF-3500? From reading the AF-3500 literature, it appears that the main driver for VOR/ILS approaches would be the SL30. I'm curious because it seems unless you want to go to IFR minimums, a 300 XL might serve you just as well at approx 1/3 of the price.
I like the addition of the mapping function on the AF-3500 as well. I'm trying to think of what combination of components teamed with the 3500 would deliver the best returns for the money.
Admittedly, I'm pretty new at this so I'll admit I don't know squat. I'm just trying to learn.

Happy Flying

A deal on an old IFR GPS might not be a deal?

Didn't the FAA try to kill a whole gaggle of early Gen IFR GPS recently. Only three GPS models, the Garmin 400-, 500-, and G1000-series, where legal under the new performance based policy. Formerly IFR certifed models, including the Garmin GNS 480 WAAS and units manufactured by Chelton, Honeywell, Northstar, and Trimble, where listed as "noncompliant." The FAA backed down, but still, keep that in mind. If its cheap there is a reason. (Advisory Circular 90-100A)

Even though the FAA backed down and did not kill older IFR units, I think they're still under some limits and restrictions. New required navigational performance (RNP) and RNAV SID/STAR-capability might make older IFR GPS technologically obsolete if not legally down the road. Reminds me of computers in the 90's. By the time you opened the box the PC was obsolete.

Personally if I add IFR capability to my plane, I'm just going with an ILS/LOC/VOR all-in-one unit (Val or Narco). A VFR GPS unit can be used for reference. It works. The ILS is still the Cadillac approach with lowest mins. For occasional IFR departures, en-route climbs and let downs, its enough. Non-precision approaches are being replaced with GPS, but ILS/LOC/VOR approaches will be around for some time. A GPS unit does add more capability, and new IFR GPS units no doubt will add even more utility, in the future.

Last edited:
<SNIP>

Personally if I add IFR capability to my plane, I'm just going with an ILS/LOC/VOR all-in-one unit (Val or Narco). A VFR GPS unit can be used for reference. It works. The ILS is still the Cadillac approach with lowest mins. For occasional IFR departures, en-route climbs and let downs, its enough. Non-precision approaches are being replaced with GPS, but ILS/LOC/VOR approaches will be around for some time. A GPS unit does add more capability, and new IFR GPS units no doubt will add even more utility, in the future.

I've found that in most cases ILS/LOC/VOR is not too useful unless you also have DME, ADF or both. (E.g. what happens when you are "cleared for the ILS 36 at so-and-so-airport" from 10 miles east or west of the IAF, which as frequently happens, is a LOM?)

For my money, IFR GPS is a great way to add ADF and DME capability while using up only 1 rack space and not trying to keep 3 devices operational.