Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
Folks,

Since many of you have bought and sold RV's, please take a shot at the value of a project I am thinking of completing..

It will end up as:

2003 RV-6a, slider, nice professional paint, silver and blue. 325TT pix below.

Very nice cloth interior, professionally done.

Completely upgraded panel, Skyview 7" Dynon http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_intro.html on left side with engine monitoring, Dynon D100a and standard gauges on the right. Just now starting to design panel with ePanel Builder.

Aeorosport O-360 Will have 25 TTSNEW when complete because of requirement to reenter Phase 1 and fly hours off.

Hartzell Constant speed& Governor 350 TTSNEW

Full lighting system, strobes, pos, landing.

Other nice goodies: AOA, Smoke system, GPS 196, 5-Pt Harness...

Pix of current config here: http://picasaweb.google.com/jerry2dt/226YKForVAF#

Engine depicted has 4000TT, 50 STOH, running very strong, compressions 73-78-77-79is being replaced by Aerosport. If anyone interested in engine, email me. [email protected]

Let's put it this way: If you were selling or buying this type of RV, what would you expect to sell/buy if for?

I guess if this were a -7a maybe $90-100K? Of course -6-a's don't get the same money, if arguably a better RV... (IMHO)

Last edited:
Folks,

Since many of you have bought and sold RV's, please take a shot at the value of a project I am thinking of completing..

from the pictures it looks like a very nice 6, without the upgrades. I'm making a wild guess you have the dynon and engine from another project and think it will sell better with those in it? The plane looks pretty nice with a recently OH engine, seems to me you'd get more people who could afford it if you sold it as is.

sorry if that wasn't what you were looking for, guess i don't understand why you'd put all that money into it just to sell it.

First, nice -6!

Second, this is probably the wrong section to have this posted.

Thirdly, I don't see the "project"? Yes, a panel upgrade would be nice but not needed unless of course you got the -6 at such a low price.......

Fourthly, $65K

Of course I ain't buyin' so take it for what it's worth. :D

Good question with no real answer...

I would not expect to sell it for anywhere close to what I put into it. I would not expect to sell it quickly.
It is worth what someone will pay you for it. In this economy, finding that someone is the first challenge. There is also a lot of competition out there. Very nice airplanes advertised cheap.
It is going to get worse before it gets better and I would not be building for a speculative sale in this market.
Ok, I just depressed myself! sorry!

Keep as is!

Jerry

I'm tending to agree with the other replies above, I think you'd actually be better off selling as is. Or maybe overhauling the current engine. I don't think you'd get you money back on the upgrades. ie It would cost you more than the increase in value. I might be wrong. As for price I live on the other side of the pond (UK) so the prices here are quite different.
If you where keeping the plane for yourself then go ahead and set it up exactly how you'd like it.

Cheers

Peter

I would bet its worth $65-$70 now and $75-$85 with the skyview and engine upgrades...............may not get all your money back for the engine upgrade.

Interestly though if you intend for sure to resell................the panel upgrade may be the most important expenditure.........buyers want the latest glass and the Skyview synthetic vision will sell the airplane for you.

I would bet its worth $65-$70 now and $75-$85 with the skyview and engine upgrades...............may not get all your money back for the engine upgrade.

Interestly though if you intend for sure to resell................the panel upgrade may be the most important expenditure.........buyers want the latest glass and the Skyview synthetic vision will sell the airplane for you.

I agree.
Older panel, tough economy & lots of other product out there.
The airframe/paint looks to be in excellent shape. If I was a buyer, I'd look for the deal with the idea I can invest a few more $$$ for my dream panel.

Jerry,
Here's a method I use when I see an RV I like on Barnstormers, Trade-a-Plane, etc. to see if it's over priced: Go to the Van's website and use their online cost estimator to figure out how much it would cost somebody to build a duplicate your six as is (without the panel upgrade) starting today. From your pictures, this would be the "steam gauge panel, mid-time engine, cross country avionics" set of options with professional paint.

Be sure to add in the cost of your extra equipment, but nothing for your labor to put it all together (we're supposed to be building for enjoyment and education remember). The number you get will be the top dollar amount you can expect to get. Anything more than that and people will just think "Heck, I can build it for less than that!" and move on.

More goodies and superior build quality (like anything built by Rick Gray for example) will equal a higher selling price...to a point...like others have said, it's a hard market out there right now. Be prepared to negotiate.

Regards,

Last edited: