NU FINISH

I use Nu Finish. After years of trying everything I thought might be the best I finally landed on this product and I have used it for years now. Most other "flashy container - Gold - Premier - Wet Look" products only stay on the market for a year or two but this excellent product in the orange bottle or can (soft) is easy to apply, performs very well, and remains unchanged in packaging or availability. I do not have the fastest RV in the world but I did win the RV Blue class championship for 2007 in the Sport Air Racing League (www.sportairrace.org). For the record I do not believe wax makes any difference in speed inspite of some test results to the contrary - but looks count too!

Bob Axsom

Turtle Wax F21

Bright green bottle. I thin it with water and put it in a spray bottle. Works great (for me) and is very easy to apply this way.

It appears to be similar to rejex, but costs a lot less. I'm sure it is formulated with less unobtainium.

f21ol0.jpg

Guaranteed 10 knots - always claim 10 knots, it will sell better......... ;->

Last edited:
I use Nu Finish. After years of trying everything I thought might be the best I finally landed on this product and I have used it for years now. Most other "flashy container - Gold - Premier - Wet Look" products only stay on the market for a year or two but this excellent product in the orange bottle or can (soft) is easy to apply, performs very well, and remains unchanged in packaging or availability. I do not have the fastest RV in the world but I did win the RV Blue class championship for 2007 in the Sport Air Racing League (www.sportairrace.org). For the record I do not believe wax makes any difference in speed inspite of some test results to the contrary - but looks count too! Bob Axsom
I'm with Bob: NU Finish. I've been using it on the plane for over 11 years now and very happy with the results :D Rosie

Last edited:
My -7A is unpainted for now. I assume I could get the same benfits of ease of bug removal and perhaps a little more speed. Will using any of these products help maintain a polished look longer? Will using them make getting a good paint job in the future more difficult?

Thanks, Mike

Wax? What wax?

What is the best wax to make your plane go faster??? (And is easy to put on.)

Dave T.
Legacy

Dave:

My -8 is painted with AcryGlo. The paint manufacturer recommends not waxing it. Just wash with a mild detergent like a car wash. So far (250 hours and 3 years) it still looks like new.

Chris

Rejex

I use Rejex by the Corrosion-X folks. (My Cherokee is painted with AcryGlo as well and the Rejex works great on it)

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

It's a polymer-based protectant and contains no silicone oils like almost all automotive quick-waxes and polishes do. It also has no abrasives in it.

I used to use "Race Glaze" acrylic polymer-based polish and had really good results with it.

http://www.raceglaze.com/polish.html

Race Glaze has a very fine abrasive in it, not nearly as much as NuFinish does, which is another polymer-based polish I used to use on my old hotrod cars.

Another favorite polish of airplane and sports car owners is "Glare Professional Polish"

http://www.autopolish.net/

Honda / Acura sells an OEM'ed version of this at their dealerships, and everyone I know who's tried it loves it.

Last edited:
Wax

Believe it or not, I've heard of people using the Novus windshield polish as wax. They say is shines nice and keeps the dust off with the anti-stat.

Believe it or not, I've heard of people using the Novus windshield polish as wax. They say is shines nice and keeps the dust off with the anti-stat.

It would not surprise me at all if Novus, Flight Jacket Plexicoat, Rejex, Race Glaze, et al, aren't all similar formulations of the very same acrylic polymer polish chemical ingredients. When I bought my first bottle of Rejex, I thought it was astoundingly similar to Plexicoat.

Microfiber

No matter which product you choose... my best find has been the use of a good microfiber towel. I guess I'm cheap, but I've always used diapers or 100% cotton polishing cloths rather than buying the more expensive microfiber towels. I attended a seminar on polishing and waxing techniques and saw first hand how microfiber performed. I'll never go back. Especially good for final wipe after cleaning/polishing on acrylic... fast, clean, absolutely no streaks left behind.

R. E. "Ernie" Butcher
N99SU -8

Nobody has mentioned Protect All. I get it at Wal Mart in the RV (rec. vehicle) section. It is relatively cheap and goes on extremely easy. The towel just slides off after it is applied. It is really slick. Has a pump spray that makes application very easy. I don't wash at all anymore. Water causes corrosion. I clean and wax with one step with Protect All.

It will help!

Wax actually WILL give you a speed boost.

There's a thread that talks about this and the CAFE foundation study done on a Mooney before and after a wax job. They got a 2.8 mph speed increase. Keep in mind this is a slower plane -- so you'd get an even bigger increase on something faster and slicker.

http://www.cafefoundation.org/v2/pdf_cafe_reports/Wax Job with PICT.pdf

Also keep in mind that you would need an 8% boost in horsepower to achieve this speed increase.

I need speed! (and efficiency.)

Dave T
Legacy

I'm with Chris....

OK, while y'all are busy waxing your planes, I'll be out flying mine....:p

I just use Wash-Wax-All after every flight to get the bugs off, and that's all I've done in the two years since Grady painted it with JetGlo. Still looks great!

It's not that I don't believe in wax....it's that I don't believe in work!:rolleyes:

Paul

The faster you go the harder it is to increase speed

I respect the oppionons of you, Don Taylor and the CAFE Foundation testing but in this case I just can't believe it. As I recall the test the plane was pretty scruffy in the before the wax job baseline testing. My plane is always waxed so I can't perform objective testing but I have a very good idea how hard it is to gain 2.8 mph after getting the plane up over 200 mph with drag reduction mods. A wax job just isn't going to do it in my opinion and the suggestion that you can do objective testing and measure the difference in speed between brands of wax or goose grease is really hard to accept.

Bob Axsom

Wax actually WILL give you a speed boost.

There's a thread that talks about this and the CAFE foundation study done on a Mooney before and after a wax job. They got a 2.8 mph speed increase. Keep in mind this is a slower plane -- so you'd get an even bigger increase on something faster and slicker.

http://www.cafefoundation.org/v2/pdf_cafe_reports/Wax Job with PICT.pdf

Also keep in mind that you would need an 8% boost in horsepower to achieve this speed increase.

I need speed! (and efficiency.)

Dave T
Legacy

Another vote...

OK, while y'all are busy waxing your planes, I'll be out flying mine....:p

I just use Wash-Wax-All after every flight to get the bugs off, and that's all I've done in the two years since Grady painted it with JetGlo. Still looks great!

It's not that I don't believe in wax....it's that I don't believe in work!:rolleyes:

Paul

Another vote here for Wash-Wax-All - sold by FBOs.

http://www.aero-cosmetics.com/dealers.php

...and buy the heavy duty stuff for the belly....

I'm sure Paul got the idea while he had his Grumman...:)... it's the Grumman favorite..

gil A

Great Wax

I have used Rejex for years on my Debonair (RV 8 Wannabe); and my cars - especially during love-bug seasons in Florida, and my house brass hinges, and my door knobs, and my windows, and my showers and my jacuzzi tub......It protects like no tomorrow.

I'll cast my vote for Rejex. Easy on, easy off, and it is soooooo slick. Bugs wipe off with ease and water beads up like RainX on a windshield. I've been using it on my car for years. For those of you that keep your RV outside (gasp) it is important to note that it is NOT a wax, and contains no UV inhibitors. Give it a try, I think you'll be pleased.

Anyone ever try a teflon coating? We sell it as an option with paint jobs. It makes the planes holy moley slippery, and nothing will ever stick to it.

Teflon coating.......

Tell us more, who makes it? When and how is it applied? Is a consumer version out there? How long does it last? Web link?

Best Wax

I'm sure this has been covered "ad nauseum", but I can't seem to find the thread. Your favorite ac wax, why, and where can you get it. I am on the West coast (in central CA), where it is pretty hot and mostly dry. Thanks in advance.

HFS

Ryan beat me to the comment

Rejex is my choice too.

In Florida we're plagued with a gazillion different bugs that change with the seasons. Rejex makes cleaning them off easy for several months. I usually coat the entire airplane every 6 mos or so (it's hangered) and the leading edges of wings and stabs every month or two. Goes on the plexi too.

We like this stuff Finish First Polish

It's very similar to Rejex, but a slightly larger container, at a very slightly less cost per ounce.

In addition to the leading edges, we always apply this to the backside of the propeller. Bugs usually stick like glue to the flat paint, but this makes them come off easily.

Safe on Plexiglas too.