Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I have a nice little stack of avionics User's Guides, Quick Reference Guides, User's Manuals, etc. The club planes I have been flying all have these in little (or big) pouches, but I'm wondering...

What's actually *required* to be carried, and/or what do *you* carry, in the plane?

For reference purposes, I have a 430W, SL40, GMA340, Dynon Skyview and Dynon D6. That's a not insubstantial amount of paper to haul around if I don't have to...

Steve

I carry all the user manuals for the avionics (efis, gps and A/P) in my airplane. As well as the AIM. All in pdf formant in iBooks on my iPad. Another reason the iPad is an amazing tool for aviation.

I have them all on a CD - along with my photo build log, FAA aircraft file, wiring diagram, blueprints, VAF white pages, etc... So if I ever needed them I could get to them at most FBOs. ( I keep this CD in the the aircraft toolbox )

I have all the same stuff in a folder on my 7" android tablet/PDF reader which is almost always with me.

I have all of them, including PDF copies of A/W Cert and Registration in iBooks on my iPhone....also have weight and balance program on there.

There is a distinction between what is legally required and what may be useful. If you ever need the services of an A&P, he may not be willing to work on your plane because he does not have all of the relevant manuals. I carry a complete set of Van's construction drawings & SB's, install & operating manuals for each piece of avionics, Lyc. parts & overhaul manuals,
and contact list for all suppliers and engine shop. Everything fits on a thumb drive that runs on any computer that has a usb port. Overkill? Maybe, but hardly anyone plans on having a mechanical, and fewer yet can predict which part is going to break.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Goodreader

I have everything on my iPad as well. I use a program called Goodreader that you can download at the app store.
It has really come in handy from time to time.

Yup - when I had an iPad I had all the manuals on it as well as install guides. I also had the FAR/AIM (for light reading), some VAF threads, my test procedures, etc.

Boy, I miss my iPad !

What's actually *required* to be carried,

Steve

Airworthiness (actually its the "Special Airworthiness Certificate" 8130-7)
Registration (8050-3)
Operating Limitations
Weight and Balance

I left out the Optional 2nd R for Radio License. Only needed on international flights.

See Chino Tom's (Tom Prokop) post for the stuff that I carry.

It really depends on equipment.. whatever is specified in the Limitations section of AFMS.. Example for 430W is here:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/2116_STCApprovedFlightManualSupplement_SWVer3.30_.pdf

See section 2.1 for what's required (along with that doc itself). Note it says that those required manuals must be "immediately available to the pilot..." That's why you see all those books in the club planes..

You are referencing an STC specific to make an model. How does that relate to installing the 430W in an RV? Just looking at the legal question, not the good sense of using the STC as a guide for our own documents.

BTW: link to the approved supplement

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/2116_STCApprovedFlightManualSupplement_SWVer3.30_.pdf

Last edited:
Documents on board

I have all of my documents stored on dropbox and can access them via my computer, iPhone or iPad most anywhere. As a back up I have saved the important ones that I may need when I do not have the iPad handy or with me, on the memory card of my Garmin 796 as pdfs.

All Avionics manuals
Rotax manual
W&B
Check list
POH

These are easy to access and read in flight.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original question. Whether it's on an iPad, iPhone, tablet, memory stick or laptop computer (the latter in my case) isn't really what I was asking. I can carry virtually the entire history of aviation and every maintenance book and ASA or Gleim guide plus the FARs, the AIM, and the kitchen sink on those. Doesn't do me a lick of good if I can't read them when I need them, which *might* be *during* a flight.

What *paper* documents do you carry? I'm not talking about the AR(R)OW documents. I mean, what actual Bound Organizations Of Knowledge (BOOKs) do you carry, OR are you required to carry?

It's all well and good to have the User's Manual for your TSO'd GPS on a memory stick, but a) are you required to have a document available which you can actually *read* should you need to in-flight, and b) even if it's not required, what do you think are *useful* paper documents to have with you?

"Are you required to have a document on board?"

If you are talking about a GPS used under IFR, then the answer may be 'yes'.
Here is the logic chain: Your operating limitations undoubtably require you to follow the FAR part 91 equipment rules if operating under IFR. Specifically for Rnav, including GPS, FAR part one defines the "sufficient" word in part 91 to mean that the equipment is at least equivalent to the gps TSOs. Those TSOs in turn say the equipment must be operated in accordance with the installation and operating manuals. If those manuals say a reference guide must be on board, then they must be.

Last edited:
I answered before (i.e. I have electronic copies of everything). The only printed things I have in addition to ARROW are:
  • The basic POH I made
  • VAF whitepages
  • TAC for my home area
  • The big WAC scale pilots atlas

Last edited:
Interesting. I had not thought about taking all my construction reference documents along but its a good idea I think. I just finished copying 2 gigs of data, manuals and drawings to my Galaxy 7. And I found an android drawing viewer. I'll try it in a few minutes. Hope it works.

Thanks for the thread.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original question. Whether it's on an iPad, iPhone, tablet, memory stick or laptop computer (the latter in my case) isn't really what I was asking. I can carry virtually the entire history of aviation and every maintenance book and ASA or Gleim guide plus the FARs, the AIM, and the kitchen sink on those. Doesn't do me a lick of good if I can't read them when I need them, which *might* be *during* a flight.

What *paper* documents do you carry? I'm not talking about the AR(R)OW documents. I mean, what actual Bound Organizations Of Knowledge (BOOKs) do you carry, OR are you required to carry?

It's all well and good to have the User's Manual for your TSO'd GPS on a memory stick, but a) are you required to have a document available which you can actually *read* should you need to in-flight, and b) even if it's not required, what do you think are *useful* paper documents to have with you?

A checklist and the current LA TCA chart (which is required if you want to fly thru the LAX VFR corridor) is the only paper i carry. Outside of the AR(R)OW docs, I don't
carry a POH as all of my instruments have the appropriate colored arcs and markings.

I can refference any of the other documents I mentioned earlier as well as all the charts in Foreflight in flight on my iPad if needed just as easily as if they were paper.

Last edited:
Great Free Tech Info in PDF form

With electronic storage, there is almost no limit to what you can carry. Whether you store them on a CD, DVD, a Tablet or The Cloud is up to you. Most FBOs have a pilots lounge with a computer you can use. Some of the most useful to have are "The Bible" FAA AC 43.13.1B, which you can download for free below

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli....cfm/go/document.information/documentID/99861

Other useful, free tech info from the FAA includes the 5 study manuals for A&P candidates. Most of these have been recently updated, and now feature color photos and drawings.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/amt_handbook/

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-H-8083-31-AMT-Airframe-Vol-1.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-H-8083-31-AMT-Airframe-Vol-2.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-H-8083-32-AMT-Powerplant-Vol-1.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-H-8083-32-AMT-Powerplant-Vol-2.pdf

Charlie