alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I need to redo my rudder stops (like everyone else it seems) because they are too short as drawn on the plans. Does anyone know if all the AA6 aluminum angle that Van's includes in the kit is 6061 or if some of it is the stronger 2024 stuff? I'm placing an order from Spruce and they carry both. Thanks.

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Does anyone know if all the AA6 aluminum angle that Van's includes in the kit is 6061 or if some of it is the stronger 2024 stuff?
Check the info that comes with the preview plans, dude! AA6 = 6061-T6 angle, AA3 = 2024-T3 angle. :)

mcb

Last edited:
For a part like the rudder stop, there probably isn't any reason not to use HD angle. The way the stop works, the lack of a radius on the inside corner of the angle probably doesn't matter.

If the part in question was a structural member, the radiused angle like Van's provdes is the only solution.

Aluminium grades

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
I need to redo my rudder stops (like everyone else it seems) because they are too short as drawn on the plans. Does anyone know if all the AA6 aluminum angle that Van's includes in the kit is 6061 or if some of it is the stronger 2024 stuff? I'm placing an order from Spruce and they carry both. Thanks.

Aluminium grades on Vans aircraft are as follows:

1. All skins are 2024-T3

2. All angles and other structural sections formed by folding are 2024-T3

3. Main wing spars are 2024-T4

4. All extruded bar and angle is 6061-T6

5. Large dia. rigid tube is 6061-T6

6. Small dia flex tube for brakes / fuel lines is 3003 (but 5052-0 is better).

7. All steel objects are fabricated from 4130 chrome/moly.

Bob Collins said:
For a part like this, and yeah, I'm redoing mine too, is there any reason not to use the angle at the aviation department at Home Depot? It's just a stop.

Bob,
Most of the stuff I've seen at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. is architectual grade (no radius at the vertex) aluminum. Structural quality aluminum is extruded with a radius on the inside vertex. Architectual aluminum is not suitable for anything in an RV. Van is reknowned for pinching pennies. If he thought architectual aluminum was OK, he'd have saved the money and used it.
I would avoid it's use, for no other reason than it shows a lack of concern in workmanship. This could be an issue on two very important future days. #1 being the day your DAR inspects your project. #2 being the day a prospective buyer's mechanic inspects your RV.
Even though it's "just a stop", it is subject to bending loads. Architectual angle will fail prematurely.
It is easy to find structural 6061-T6 angle at most local metal supply shops.
Charlie Kuss
PS 6061-T6 can be welded, unlike 2024-T3 which should not be welded (it weakens 2024-T3)

How is the part different from the plans

Hello,

I have not come to the rudder stops yet. How should the parts be different from the plans?

Wait

JonathanCook said:
Hello,

I have not come to the rudder stops yet. How should the parts be different from the plans?

John - it is really hard to describe, and I think it is a little differnt for each plane (becasue the rudder geometry is slightly differnt each time, due to tolerance stackup), but for mine, the stops need to extend further aft than the plans.

Bottom line for me was - don't make these until you have the VS and rudder mounted, and can see exactly what you need to do. (Cause I have a set just like Van's drawings sitting in my junk parts box....) :rolleyes:

Paul

My internal rudder stop is a cleaner option.

RUDDERSTOP001.jpg

http://jeffsrv-7a.com/AEROGENIC/RUDDERSTOP/RUDDERSTOP.htm

-Jeff

JonathanCook said:
Hello,

Jonathan--
Following advice before me, I actually made my stops 1/16" longer than indicated in the plans. However, at least on one side, they are probably still, just slightly too short. There can be some variation from builder to builder depending on how far the rod-end bearings are screwed into the rudder (my rod ends are per Van's dwgs right now), but it seems that most builders end up short on the stops. When I do them again I am going to make them at least 3/32" longer than necessary, check for sufficient length, rivet them on, and then file/scotchbrite them down when I do final fitting at the airport.
Hope this helps you from making at least 2 sets! Good luck.

Last edited:
rudder stops

Thank you Paul and Steve. I will take your advice, and make the rudder stops just before installation.

although

i like jeffs set up, i am a plans kind of a guy. add 1/8 at least then you can trim if need be.

chaskuss said:
It is easy to find structural 6061-T6 angle at most local metal supply shops.
Charlie Kuss
QUOTE]

I called my local steel yard and they told me their 6061-T6 is squared on the inside corner (no radius). Shouldn't all 6061-t6 be the same? I cut up one of my 12' pcs. that came in my spar crate not realizing that the -8 has lower long longerons. I thought only the top two 15 foot 1/8"ers were long and all the others were short. I guess you are supposed to study the dwgs. for a reason.

6061-T6 only refers to the alloy and temper (degree of hardness). It has nothing to do with configuration.

Last edited:
Mel said:
6061-T6 only refers to the allow and temper (degree of hardness). It has nothing to do with configuration.

It looks like ACSpruce it is.

There are a couple of structural alum suppliers around K-zoo and Belding (MI), not real close but I figured at least I'll know it won't be bent when I get it. But they don't deal with our measly 3/4" stuff anyways. When the local guy told me they only had "the square corner stuff" I asked if he knew where I could get alum. for aeroplanes, he shreeked out.... NO! AIRPLANE! I guess hed never hearda dem before. :eek: Must be from the U-P.