N941WR

Legacy Member
I have bought almost all the instruments and radios I will need for my -9 except for the Transponder. (The Dynon EFIS & EMS and GPS will wait until I am the last minute so I can get the latest and greatest.)

My -9 will be a day/night VFR craft so I don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Tpx

If money is no object, get the digital Garmin 320. A KT-76A is hard to beat for the money however, and is probably the most popular out there. Aden.

For now the GTX-327 is the best buy out there. Given your equipment installation, it will also be the best value. Forget the KT's, Narco's, or even the 320's. The price of the 327 over the 320's actually ends up being nearly a wash when installed with a Dynon, since the 327 will talk to your Dynon and the 320 will not (same story with the KT's, etc..).

The 327 provides RS-232 Serial Encoder input capability that the 320 does not, so if you end up buying a 320 and want to hook it to you Dynon, you can't....so....you buy a 320+encoder, or for nearly the same price just buy the nicer all digital 327!

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein.

Best transponder vendor?

Aden Rich said:
If money is no object...

Aden, Unfortunately money is an "object".

Stein, Thanks for the advice.

Holy COW! I just check the prices on Aircraft Spruce.

GTX - 327: $1895
BECKER ATC 4401-175 XPDR: $1799
Garmin 320: $1349
KING CRWN KT76A: $1275

Somehow I just don't see the "value add" of intalling a transponder. I?m really starting to miss my ?41 T-Craft w/ no electrical system, transponder, starter, radio, GPS, lights, etc. and $350 annuals.

$350 sounds kind of high. :)

btw- lovin' my push button 327

46393591718050049zt.jpg

Check around

Hi Bill,
You might want to check around a bit 1800 sounds high for a 327, I just bought one at oshkosh this year as a remanufactured and only paid 1100.
Kirk

I picked up a GTX320 off ebay for $899 to put in a Tailwind I was working on. That was Factory Refurbed too. If you ever sell you airplane, having a transponder will definitely add value, some of us have to have them to fly! If you pick up a Encoder for <$200 (thats the new price) you can usually get away with a mode C capable installation for around $1000.

Bill-

Van's has a 327 for $1549. Just checked. Also, someone just sold a used one in the classifieds a couple days ago--might be able to find another if your patient.

Steve

Good News!

No one beats the prices of STARK AVIONICS the GTX-327 is $1420 plus shipping. They also carry the 320A and many other Garmin products not listed on their site.

ENJOY!
-Jeff

Stein,

As usual, you give the straight scoop and skinny on avionics. Appreciate you being a help to the community and not suger coating everything.

Great to meet you at Osh.

Take care,

Jim

SteinAir said:
For now the GTX-327 is the best buy out there. Given your equipment installation, it will also be the best value. Forget the KT's, Narco's, or even the 320's. The price of the 327 over the 320's actually ends up being nearly a wash when installed with a Dynon, since the 327 will talk to your Dynon and the 320 will not (same story with the KT's, etc..).

The 327 provides RS-232 Serial Encoder input capability that the 320 does not, so if you end up buying a 320 and want to hook it to you Dynon, you can't....so....you buy a 320+encoder, or for nearly the same price just buy the nicer all digital 327!

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein.

Buy a used one

N941WR said:
Unfortunately money is an "object".

Holy COW! I just check the prices on Aircraft Spruce.
GTX - 327: $1895
BECKER ATC 4401-175 XPDR: $1799
Garmin 320: $1349
KING CRWN KT76A: $1275
Somehow I just don't see the "value added" of installing a transponder.
I like used transponders, King, Collins, Narco and even some ARC (Cessna) units can be had on eBay for $300-$700. The usual reason is removal to put in a new transponder that matches a new radio stack. So they are removing a good transponder for a new one that basically does the exact same thing, transmits you code and altitude. Unless you are going with a Mode S transponder there is no difference in function between a tube transponder and the new solid-state type. Tube transponders are very reliable in my experience. As far as the more expensive mode S transponders (GTX330), things are changing. The TIS (traffic Info System) seems to be on retreat with limited TIS areas and more areas closing (limitations due to the old ATC radar and computer systems). In the future there may be real "value added" items like weather thru the mode S (with out a monthly fee) and real TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) that we can afford.

If you have to buy new I would get a Garmin 320A. The bigger Garmin GTX327 transponder has more lights and timers (I don't need or want) and cost more and weighs a 1 lb more. The mode-S GTX330 weighs 2 lb's more and costs $3,600-$7,000. In the end they do the same thing. If you are not buying a $10,000 Garmin multi function nav/com/display unit a $7000 transponder might make since. If you just want a good stand-alone transponder, a used transponder or the Garmin GTX 320A is a good way to go. If you can get a GTX327 on sale for a few dollars more, and really want the timer and altitude readout and don't mind the weight, than go for it. (As far as Dynon thethe EFIS D-10 is gray code, the -10A is serial. So if you need a serial RS232 than the GTX 327 is the way to go.)

Avoid the super small 2.25" Microair transponder, which some dealers have stopped selling.

As far as tube transponders, they are very reliable. I brought my $250 Collins used off of eBay, to an avionics shop for a quick check. It was warmed up in a few seconds, was perfectly on freq and was putting out huge +200watts. Many perfectly good used transponders are coming on the market as they are being replaced with new solid state ones that do the same thing, send ATC your code and altitude. Consider a King KT78 which only goes to 15,000 feet, which will do for most pilots and is cheeper than a KT76A. Collins and Narco make good transponders. ARC (Cessna) transponders are not bad, and some models have a very nice panel appearance. Yes if t he tube dies you might as well sell it on eBay for parts because it will be too expensive to fix. However by than there may be some very nice less expensive mode-S transponders with value added features like weather and true traffic info.

Cheers George

Last edited:
MicroAir

penguin said:
George, Why do you recommend avoiding the Microair transponders? Pete
Well this is for two reasons:

I have read few posts about a T2000 Microair on internet list's. One reported problem about intermittent problems when they where fairly new on the market. It seemed the new replacement did the same thing. I recall it could be related to getting too many interrogations in busy airspace (radar busy, multi class B, C). It was kind of like overloading it or confusing it? I wrote Microair an e-mail and they where very nice but had no complaints and only a few returns. I chalk this up to growing pains or unique one of a kind issue? It makes you wonder. They came out late 2001-early 2002, so no doubt they have made changes since to refine them. They are software driven and noticed they are up to Level C. (As a side note there are NO experimental transponders. The FAR's are clear that transponders must be TSO'ed or meet TSO specs to be used in an aircraft. Microair is TSO'ed.)

Second, I called a very large avionics dealer, gulf cost avionics, and asked about transponders, repairs, recommendations and so on. They sold Microair them but have stopped. It was implied there where a few too many returns. The real reason I believe is you still must mail it to Australia to get it repaired. As a full meal deal avionics repair station, as well as a retailer, they like to service what the sell. So the combo of returns and the inability to work on them in-house pushed their decision to stop selling them. They had one left when I called. I don't think it was because they are bad, just that other brands gave them less problems and they could support them better.

Therefore there are no earth shaking reasons not to use them. I have no doubt that they will treat their customers well and do everything they can to support their customers as best they can from Australia. It is the same with German made MT propellers, which need to go to Germany for repair. If Microair had 2 or 3 repair centers in the US I would feel better about using their products.

For me the choice is based on repairs. A Garmin, King, Collins or Narco is going to be easier. Many avionics shops have a drawer full of loners to slide in to keep you flying while your unit is repaired. They will even mail them to you. Or you can go on eBay and buy a used one. I am sure Microair will be around for a long time, but it might be an orphan someday :confused: .

Orphaned avionics are not all that uncommon. Terra, Collins even Apollo are orphans to one extent or another. The saving grace is these older units where around for a long time. There are enough parts and used units floating around to keep them going for many years to come. Microair is rare compared to these units, even though they are not in production anymore. So if you have your heart set on one, just be aware of possible problems.

I flew in a fleet of 40-50 piston singles and twins as a CFI and a part 135 charter pilot and all those King, Collins and ARC transponder always worked and never let me down. So you go with what you are comfortable with. A transponder is a passive thing that you set and forget, except when it stops working it can be a real pain, especially if you need to fly where one is required, which is most places now a days. Looking at the archives, I have not seen any problems posted since Aug 04, where a builder found the transponder only replyed 50% of the time during its installation certification test. Was sent back for repair. They may turn out to be a real good unit, time will tell. I look at 2.25" transponders like a laptop vs. a desk top computer, you get more for less with a bigger desktop than the small laptop. With a glider airplane you have no panel space, these small units make sense. In a RV we have plenty of space and can mount full sized avionics.

Cheers George

Last edited: