skyfrog

Well Known Member
I am considering the purchase of an already completed empennage to start off my RV 9A project.

However, being new to building, I'm not sure what to look for when examining the quality of the build. Smiles? Dents? Buckeled skin? etc. How much is OK?

Are the things to be careful of when buying a partially complete kit? Are the kits basically fool proof or could I wind up wasting money on someone elses mistake?

Also, as a new builder, (rivet, what's a rivet), would it be a mistake to miss the experience of building the tail kit?

John Edwards
[email protected]

Kits are indeed NOT floolproof. You can be taken to the cleaners. Find an EAA technical counselor familiar with RVs and have him/her inspect the workmanship before purchase.

Hi John,

If you find a project that you're interested in, you could ask on the list if anyone lives near where it's located, and I'd bet you'll find an experienced builder who will take a look at it with you.

As for buying projects, the biggest problem tends to be missing items. Some folks move their project once or twice before giving up, and stuff just seems to go missing. It's somewhat impractical to inventory everything on-site, so you end up hoping it's all there. For a relatively new model like the -9, this won't be as much of a problem as it is with an ancient -3,-4, or -6 kit.

Cheers,
Rusty (8.3 hours and climbing)

John... Building the empennage is only a small % of the total hours / effort and cost of the complete RV. So by buying a completed empennage you are not saving much.

However, in the empennage building, you "learn" the skills needed for the rest of the project. You do various forms of rivetting etc., and all on small, inexpensive parts. The instructions are also much more detailed here.

I would therefore suggest you think about going down this route... there is little to gain, and much to lose. Before you even query why someone has done the empennage and then stopped?

Just a thought...

skyfrog said:
Are the kits basically fool proof or could I wind up wasting money on someone elses mistake?

Also, as a new builder, (rivet, what's a rivet), would it be a mistake to miss the experience of building the tail kit?

The kits are far better than they used to be, but a loooong way from foolproof. I would echo what others have said and not buy a pre-built tail, simply because you would miss out on the learning that takes place there and save very little cash. A much better way to get a bargain would be to buy a kit that someone purchased but did not start yet.

Rusty: Who you callin' ancient?! :D

I too vote for building the emp yourself for all the reasons already put forth.
I learned a lot building mine, including how to fix mistakes. I think my wings are coming out much nicer because of the experience - few mistakes, nicer riveting, thinking ahead, etc.
One of the reasons for less instructions as you go along in the kit is because you already "learned" what you should do earlier.
A first timer jumping into the middle of a project is more likely to get "paralyzed" - not knowing what to do, or how to do it, and afraid to make a mistake.

Doing your own ding

skyfrog said:
Smiles? Dents? Buckeled skin? etc. How much is OK?

I wouldn't recommend buying an empennage that has ANY smiles, dents or buckles. If it is a quality product it will have none of these things. If you're prepared to accept dings you'd be better off doing your own empennage dings....at least then you'd be better prepared for the wings and more tricky areas.

If you do consider a "used" kit, be sure first to read the letter on Van's Aircraft's website on "buying a second hand RV kit".