Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I have the heated Dynon pitot tube and the SafeAir mast. I drilled and then tapped the holes to 6-32, joining the mast to the pitot tube. The first 3 holes went fine, then on the 4th hole, the tap broke....argh!

What's the best method to deal with removing that? I started to drill it out, then stopped...I think I'll make a bigger mess. Take it to a machine shop or does someone have abetter method?

Thanks

Don

tap

If there's a machine shop nearby I'd just take it to someone that deals with problems like this often. Why buy a tool and wait for it when you can just have it taken care of. If it's boogered up they can install a helicoil for you.

There is some value in learning to deal with these problems yourself

Buying the tool and learning remove the broken tap has some value.

Bob Axsom

Trying to remove a broken tap is bound to cause much pain. take the part to a shop that has an EDM machine and they can remove it painlessly.
Most modern tool shops have EDM machines.;)

TIG or MIG weld a nut onto it, starting the weld into the bottom inside of the nut, add bees wax and remove while hot, done this many times at work over the years.

Update

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I didn't take a picture before I took it to a tap expert. He looked at it and said "wow, that's going to be a tough one". Not what I wanted to hear. I told him that there couldn't be any heat applied to the area and also the cost of the unit.

Once he found out the tap was in aluminum, he suggested the easiest way to get the tap out was to apply liquid alum. The liquid alum will react quickly with the tap and basically rust it out. As the aluminum is non-ferrous, it should be a non event.

It's going to take a few days for the liquid alum to do it's magic, but he did say that a few drops should do the trick.

Once I get it back, I'll post the pics.

Keeping my fingers crossed.