Plane krazy

I just started to do my condition inspection and making a few changes at the same time

Question?

What to do with the ELT? I carry with me a portable 406 PLB

1 remove it and use the batteries for the shop flash light and save the weight?

2 leave it in just in case you could use it as a com in an emergency

I'm leaning on throwing it out and saving the batteries for the shop flashlight

ken

Leave it in!

ELT is still required equipment. PLB does not replace ELT.

Mel is right. Make sure the batteries are legal and reinstall. I also have a 406 MHz PLB and expect that it has a higher chance of leading to my rescue IF I ever need it.

I keep the 121.5 MHz ACK ELT legal and in the plane.

elt

I forgot that it is still required the batteries are still in date so i will leave it and hope it never turn on

ken crapy weather in maine

Not quite....

I forgot that it is still required the batteries are still in date so i will leave it and hope it never turn on

ken crapy weather in maine

...the "leave it alone" bit is incorrect.

As Mel says, it is required by the FARs, which also require (91.207)

(d) Each emergency locator transmitter required by paragraph (a) of this section must be inspected within 12 calendar months after the last inspection for--
(1) Proper installation;
(2) Battery corrosion;
(3) Operation of the controls and crash sensor; and
(4) The presence of a sufficient signal radiated from its antenna.

It should be inspected at your Conditional Inspection time, and a log book entry made...

Condition, condition, condition.....

It should be inspected at your Conditional Inspection time, and a log book entry made...

Now Gil, I KNOW that you are an official representative of the Mother Country of the Mother Tongue......(and I am hoping that you're not still sitting in Houston!), but every year, we do an "Inspection" to certify the "Condition" of the experimental aircraft. The "Inspection" is not "Conditional" upon anything....;)

(Thus ends Paul's 1,247th rant on the subject....we now return you to your original thread topic.....:cool:)

Now Gil, I KNOW that you are an official representative of the Mother Country of the Mother Tongue......(and I am hoping that you're not still sitting in Houston!), but every year, we do an "Inspection" to certify the "Condition" of the experimental aircraft. The "Inspection" is not "Conditional" upon anything....;)

I'm glad you said something....I was tempted to, but I was sure Gil was just testing us. ;)