Check6

Well Known Member
I am wondering if there is a place that will buy DG's that are not working? I know some folks use them for memorabilia and such, and I am not sure if someone out there will buy them for a core.
Thanks for any info to get rid of the 2 that I have.

Knick-knacks

I find that old, broken and obsolete instruments make outstanding living room decor. Of course I do live alone so YMMV:)

DSC09799.jpg

I'll take some

I'll be interested in a few old instruments just to have around, like an old DG would be good. Anyone good so old paperweights in near LAX they want to throw my way?

Kids toy.

My grandson (2 years old) had such a great time turning all the knobs in my plane when I let set in it that I decide that I would take all the old avionic that I had laying around and build him a play panel that he could have at home.

Project not complete yet or I would post a picture.

Kent

Be aware that many of those old DG's have radium dials (the DG and clock in Larry's photo look like radium). Radium dials are not particularily dangerous as long as the instrument remains sealed. The danger is ingesting radium dust which would happen if you open the instrument.

I previously owned a dial refinishing shop and we were frequently visited by Michigan health inspectors to measure the radioactivity in our shop. We were also required to register as a known depot for radioactive material!

Jim Butcher

I'd save it. Some little kid will see it sitting there and think it's cool cause it came off an airplane. Give it to him. He'll fly eventually. Trust me

I have the original CDI out of the Cherokee I got my private in. Makes a great bookend!