rwagner24

Hey all,

This is my first real "getting ready to build post". I bought a RV8 quick build kit from a guy that had it stored in a hangar for 10 years. Other than the whole thing being dirty its in great shape. The surfaces on the wings and fuse are not shiny and have a little staining. How should I clean everything? I tried rubbing the surface lightly with water and a little dish soap and it dosen't come off. Thanks for any help. I hope this image posting works......
rwagner24
[/URL]
[/IMG]

You could try either the Simple Green Designed for Aircraft or MEK, MEK has removed just about everything i have put it on so im sure it would clean that right up.

-david

Before you resort to MEK, try lacquer thinner. It will take off most anything that MEK will, and it's not nearly as "nasty".

Are you going to paint the airplane? You can not remove stains from aluminum without using acid etch or a mechanical means. If you are going to paint just leave any stains until you are ready to prime. Obviously clean and remove all dirt from the aluminum surface now.:)
If you are going to polish then there are several methods that are used. Acid etch being one and very fine paper....2000 grit being another....and then buff and polish.
Dave (Swift Driver)

Yes the plan is to paint it but obviously it will be awhile. I will try the thinner. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I have a gallon of MEK on hand so I put some on a rag and tried cleaning a couple spots. It takes the surface dirt off but there are some bird droppings that have stained it and wont come off. Also the white staining you see in the wing pic dosent really come off. Should I just clean everything and not worry about it till it is time for primer?

might be

The white stuff might be light surface corrosion, or deposits from getting wet. nothing to worry about, can't really see it that good in pic. If it is, check to see what the inside looks like? Is it shiny or the same white look. The outside can be cleaned up now or later with a little scotch brite and some elbow grease. Don't over rub it at this point. You don't want to remove too much of the clad coating. Later on in the build, you are planning on painting, so it will be treated and really cleaned with some prekote or some other etching so I wouldn't worry too much about it now. BTW, what kind of environment has it been in? Humid? By the ocean? Dry climate?

bird

Short answer Yes. I polished mine for partial paint,downside is everybody has to touch it,they cant help it,they just have to! You paid a lot of money and you want it to look like something wile your working on it,you will change your mind a thousand times before your done so polishing is a good option.

The inside has a grey primer put on by who ever builds the quick build kits for vans. The kit was in Florida (not near the ocean) for a few years but has been in pa the last 6 or so.

Ok

Just clean it good build it!! I wanna see it fly!!:D Have fun building and check on here a lot.

bird

either the Simple Green Designed for Aircraft or MEK

The Simple Green designed for aircraft is labelled as "Simple Green Extreme"

Do not use plain Simple Green on aluminum.

Simple Green Extreme is great for cleaning airplanes but it will not do what you are currently looking for. Also do not use scrubbing bubbles.

Well what procedure and products would I use for a light polishing that would give a shine similar to want the skin looks like when you take off the blue film?

Way too much work to clean and polish :eek: if you are going to paint later. Just leave it clean and maybe spray some LPS 2 or something like that on it and wipe off. Use no silicones....paint does not like them and they stay forever.
Dave (Swift Driver) only a little polish on my Swift....too much work for me!

Light solution of Alumiprep!

For bare or clad aluminum

Light solution of Alumiprep scrub with grey or maroon scotchbrite.

Rinse with clean water and dry with clean cotton towels or clean compressed air. Then keep it where it wont get dusty, dirty, dry or covered in bug or bird poo.

Get ready for the Happy New Year!

For bare or clad aluminum

Light solution of Alumiprep scrub with grey or maroon scotchbrite.

Rinse with clean water and dry with clean cotton towels or clean compressed air. Then keep it where it wont get dusty, dirty, dry or covered in bug or bird poo.

Get ready for the Happy New Year!

Sorry Tom but this is the one thing I would not do. Once its ready for paint I would acid etch prior to alodine and use a scotchbrite however until then I would just clean and build.

Pat

The white stuff might be light surface corrosion, or deposits from getting wet. nothing to worry about, can't really see it that good in pic. If it is, check to see what the inside looks like? Is it shiny or the same white look. The outside can be cleaned up now or later with a little scotch brite and some elbow grease. Don't over rub it at this point. You don't want to remove too much of the clad coating. Later on in the build, you are planning on painting, so it will be treated and really cleaned with some prekote or some other etching so I wouldn't worry too much about it now. BTW, what kind of environment has it been in? Humid? By the ocean? Dry climate?

bird

I agree. That is not dirt, but corrosion. The dirt sits on the surface, absorbs the moisture and the corrosion sets in. What has happened given the time frame is what I would expect. Having seen this a lot I never leave aluminium sitting around like that. Cover it up and keep it clean or prime it right there and then.

If this was my project, before doing anything much I would deal to the corrosion and prime it.

Andrew.