humptybump

Well Known Member
With the advent of more and more "non analog" equipment in the panel, the options are multiplying for what to connect together. Here is a typical example:

• an EFIS that can send and receive serial data for GPS, waypoints, flightplans, radios, and proprietary data
  • a GPS NAV that can send and receive serial data for GPS, waypoints, flightplans, radios, and proprietary data
  • one or more radios that can send and receive serial data for active and standby radio frequencies
  • an autopilot that can receive serial data for GPS navigation
  • and more and more and perhaps even more

What "ins" and "outs" have you connected?

In addition to Glen's list......

CO detector
ADSB
406 ELT
Wi-Fi adapter to display ADSB on iPad
VPX-Pro
Transponder
Nav/Com (remote control)
Data Logger

G3X%2520SERIAL%2520PORT%2520SETUP.png

In addition to those above that go to the G3X system, I have the following:

AVIATION protocol over RS232 from the GTN650 to the source select switches of the TT Gemini PFD and GX Pilot AP.

ARINC429 for both GPS and NAV from the GTN650 to/from the G3X system.

ADS-B protocol over RS232 from the GTN650 to the GTX23ES remote xponder.

I still have three spare serial ports on my PFD2 screen that I can use in the future if needed. I also have a couple more on the GTN650 if needed.

The important thing is to fully understand what ports you have available and what connections you need and that the port you plan on using can be setup to the correct protocol and baud rate that you need. Some systems have various restrictions on what protocol can be set on certain ports. You have to read all the fine print and notes for this one!!!

Clearly, a high end system like a multi-display G3X will have more data flows and more serial "ports".

Things get a bit more restrictive with a mix of equipment (and a mix of ages of equipment).

One thing that is often not evident from the beginning is that some vendors have restrictions on what data are supported when they provide multiple ports.

As Brian points out, it's important to know what ports each piece of equipment provides and the correct configuration. It is just as important to verify what type of data each port supports.

I feel -more and more - it's a necessity to design a panel such that as many functions as possible can be "bench tested".

One thing that is often not evident from the beginning is that some vendors have restrictions on what data are supported when they provide multiple ports.

Yes..... for instance the 430W will only output a particular data format ONCE. Meaning you cannot have the same format on two differing output pins going to two different devices. I wired separate outputs to avoid a splice and provide some data wiring redundancy.

This pissed me off when I discovered it. I have not rewired my system yet (to split the one output to two devices) because I have a workaround via GRT interdisplay communications. The 430W install manual was not clear in this regard and that was annoying.

Definitely make a chart similar to Brians and include protocol names (at both ends) and baud rates for each connection.

Last edited: