alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I've gone through my main DB37 harness for my D180. I don't think I have a need for a bunch of the wires:

3 "general purpose resisitive"
6 "do not connect" (why do they even install the wires then????!)
2 "Contact"
1 "external warning light"

That's at least 12 wires that I have coiled up right now that are just crowding the back of the panel making future access to the connections and wires that are important much more difficult.

Is there any reason not to cut them back as much as possible (while still allowing for a future connection if necessary)?

I generally don't like to leave extra wires in the harness, but I also sometimes add things in the future, and might need them. So what I do is use a pin extractor to get them out of the connector, and leave them coiled up in my spare parts box. It's much cleaner than cutting them off, and allows you to add them back later.

In some cases, an extra length of wire CAN (on rare occasions) act as an antenna and bring stray signals into the EFIS from other systems, casuing some unwanted problems. Just something to consider.....

Paul

Last edited:
I'm just finishing up wiring my new Dynon D-180, and we have the same issue.

If you have the Stein harness, it really isn't a lot of weight - so you have to ask yourself before you cut, "Do I feel lucky?"

As a compromise, you might just cut those wires down to a single loop just in case you change your mind later....

:D

The "do not connects" are used on a D120. We sell the same harness for a D120 and a D180, since it doesn't make sense in our volumes to make and stock a separate harness for the D180.

Use extractor tool

As Paul said if you use the extractor tool, then you can remove the wires and easily use them again later if the need arises.

Peter

Extract

Once again Paul says it!

Extract with tool and save for a possible later use.

This is what I did on my D180.

Ted

I wonder if any of those "do not connect" wires will eventually be used for Dynon's new autopilot. Does anyone know which of the D180 wires will drive the autopilot servos?

The AP uses the DSAB wires, which are already used to go between multiple units and devices like the HS34. It's just a pair of wires that is paralleled between all the units.

re: AP 74

This is pretty much a question for the Dynon support guys.
Does the AP74 use the same mounting bracket as the HS34, and if it does, can I get the bracket separately to go ahead and mount it in the panel?

Marshall Alexander
RV10/fuse & panel

The AP74 and HS34 can use the same bracket. But technically we sell a different bracket for the AP74 because the AP76 needs a different bracket, and we want a customer to be able to just swap the units easily. Also, the AP bracket is improved.

We are shipping AP74s and the brackets, so you can order one now. We do sell the brackets separately (AP or HS34).

re:Thanks...

....it's great to have the folks that make this "stuff" watching this site so they can chime in once in a while to defend, support, or just comment in general on their products.
Thanks again for the help.

Marshall Alexander