N916K

Well Known Member
People who build their own airplane generally don't stop with airplanes. Some build kit cars, boats, or furniture. Well add bicycles to that list now.

I started building brazed steel bikes. I went to UBI for a two week course and have now spent way too much money on tools. I'm building a few frames for friends and if that goes well I may start doing it for money. There isn't any real money it, so it would be a part time job/hobby.

Here's a few pics:

2666297538_04710babd9.jpg

2666297322_f70d39c01e.jpg

2666297182_6e76316fd7.jpg

2665473451_a4f4ab6e1a.jpg

Cam,

I have always wanted to go there and learn how to build bikes the right way!

Your ride looks great! Put me down for a frame!

Finished? I don't expect that to happen

If you are satisfied with a plain vanila RV I guess that can happen. I first flew our RV-6A on 3-21-04 after 3877.8 hours in the builder's log. I continue to log all original work (development, not maintenance) and as of the completion of the removable step mod on July 6, 2008 (a week ago) the log is up to 5075.8 hours and I'm about to settle in on a mod for the elevator and rudder access holes to reduce drag.

Bob Axsom

If you are satisfied with a plain vanila RV I guess that can happen. I first flew our RV-6A on 3-21-04 after 3877.8 hours in the builder's log. I continue to log all original work (development, not maintenance) and as of the completion of the removable step mod on July 6, 2008 (a week ago) the log is up to 5075.8 hours and I'm about to settle in on a mod for the elevator and rudder access holes to reduce drag.

Bob Axsom

Bob, let's see. I converted from a 9A to a 9. Made new elevators and rudder. Redid the whole cowling because the engine mounts are slightly different. I still have panel version 2.0 to do and converting to a constant speed prop. So, done is a relative term. :D

Now, why doncha build a folding bike that'll fit in an RV8 for a reasonable price?

Did you check Bike Friday? I haven't ridden one but I hear they are very good.

I do think I'll build a single speed with SS couplers. It should fit in the back of a 6,7, or 9 with a tip up slider.

Cam

Cam,

I have always wanted to go there and learn how to build bikes the right way!

Your ride looks great! Put me down for a frame!

I think the free ones are all spoken for, but I'll let you know if I can make a go of it and hang a shingle up. Between liability insurance and California business taxes I may not make enough bikes a year to brake even.

UBI is really great. The town is wonderful and the instructors are top notch.

Cam

Umm... no offense or anything, but I'm thinking your RV is way cooler than your bikes. I'd suggest building a kit cub, STOL 701, or glaststar sportsman - preferably some light and slow to complement your quick RV. At least, that's my 20 year plan.

Umm... no offense or anything, but I'm thinking your RV is way cooler than your bikes. I'd suggest building a kit cub, STOL 701, or glaststar sportsman - preferably some light and slow to complement your quick RV. At least, that's my 20 year plan.

Right on! Of course when you're done with the first RV, you think about what to build next. Naturally another RV could be in the works...or like some of us you might want something even faster. I might opt for a low/slow fuel sipping fun flyer after the next plane is done - a person should have one of each, at least I think! :)

Right now I'm all about fast, but after the fast bird is done I'll be thinking just the opposite.

Cheers,
Stein

Titanium brakes maybe?

Hi Cam,
My son does work for a titanium racing brake company in north Georgia, "Zero Gravity bikes". At $400 a pop, manufactured in-house in the good ol' USA. They have a cam action which doubles the brake force with lower effort.

Lemme know if you want to see a set,

Regards,

What else do you make?

Cam,

Beautiful work on the bicycle. As an avid road biker I appreciate the classic brazed steel frames (with a level top tube). Just prior to getting bit by this RV "bug" I was about to pull the trigger on a Richard Sachs custom frame to the tune of about $5k.

I've always wanted to get the experience to build my own bicycle. UBI would be a great experience.

There must be something about building things yourself. I've built custom golf clubs for about 12 years now. I did a few for my friends but have slowed down since a head flew off in mid swing...FORE! I've also built a dreadnought Stewart MacDonald guitar...plays and sounds better than my Martin D-28.

Every time I get interested in building something my wife rolls her eyes...there goes another $2500 in tooling supplies!! Probably why I'm still in ASA (awaiting spousal approval) mode on my RV-8 project!

I think a few of you are missing the point. The post wasn't about what to build instead of airplanes. It's that many of us that build airplanes also build other things.

Just prior to getting bit by this RV "bug" I was about to pull the trigger on a Richard Sachs custom frame to the tune of about $5k.

I've always wanted to get the experience to build my own bicycle. UBI would be a great experience.

Richard makes some nice bikes, but I would go to the UBI class and build a frame instead. Half the cost and about 5 years less lead time.

Hi Cam,
My son does work for a titanium racing brake company in north Georgia, "Zero Gravity bikes". At $400 a pop, manufactured in-house in the good ol' USA. They have a cam action which doubles the brake force with lower effort.

Lemme know if you want to see a set,

Regards,

Those are sweet. I've never seen them. That submarine thing is really cool also. Is he working on that?

He's helping with the submarine..

.....but his forte is Graphic art design. He graduated from UGA a couple years ago and freelances but Ted, the owner of Zero gravity had him design the ad brochures and packaging. He also helped build the outdoor pool and concreted the inside for testing the sub and since my son's scuba certed as well, has done some of the underwater videos.

Regards,

Richard makes some nice bikes, but I would go to the UBI class and build a frame instead. Half the cost and about 5 years less lead time.

Hi Cam,

Speaking of bikes (Lord knows I'm an idiot when it comes to them), my sister and brother in law have a neat company that does some pretty specialized bike stuff...

Don't know how many of you high end bike guys have power meters on your bikes, but if you do you may or may not be familiar with these:

http://www.quarq.us

I tell ya, I though aviation guys were nuts about their hobbies, but some of you bicyclists are every bit as fanatic. I am amazed at some of the equipment, bikes, wheels, frames, etc.. that are out there. Of course I probably could't ride more than 500' without needing medical attention!

Neat stuff, building your own bike looks pretty challenging and rewarding as well. It's always interesting to see what people's other hobbies are!

Cheers,
Stein

Speaking of bikes (Lord knows I'm an idiot when it comes to them), my sister and brother in law have a neat company that does some pretty specialized bike stuff...

Don't know how many of you high end bike guys have power meters on your bikes, but if you do you may or may not be familiar with these:

http://www.quarq.us

I haven't seen that system. It looks very nice, and much cheaper than what's currently out there. If they have an extra one laying around..........