Tom McCutcheon

Well Known Member
I am trying to decide what to call (for my log book) a top overhaul where I have replaced with all new cylinders, pistons etc. I realize that a "Top Overhaul" can mean anything from a remove, check, and replace anything that meets tollerances. to replacing with new parts. In my case I did not split the case but inspected the inside through the openings for the cylinders. The only thing I did not replaced on the cylinders was the rocker arms, push rods, push rod tubes, and the valve covers. Everything else from the base of the cylinders up were replace with Lycoming new. I used the Nitrited steel cylinders & chrome rings that all came as a set. So, does anyone know what to call that officially for the log book? The engine only had 675 hours on it and the bottom was in good condition. I did the top because one of the cylinders showed a scuffing between the cylinder and piston.

Thanks
Tom McCutcheon

Simply call it a "Top Overhaul" and list all replaced parts.
Just tell what you did and list part numbers and their source.
List all parts and specify whether they are new or meet new or serviceable limits.
Also reference what manuals you used.

Top O/H ???

I would write it up as replacing the Cylinder Assemblies and record the new P/N from the 8130 tag. By recording the p/n anybody can look it up and see what was replaced.

Just the way I would record it.

Like Mel says, or don't even use the word "overhaul". Just start in logging as "removed widget-x" and installed "widget-y". A reader will look at it as a top, but you avoid the word "overhaul". That implies you have checked everything in the assembly to service limits. Did you measure your rocker bushings & toe profile? If not, it's not a top "overhaul". Don't use the word "rebuilt" unless you can support it. Avoid the word "inspect" unless an "inspection" is required. As the great showman Bill Clinton says "be careful what you say".

Log entry

"Overhaul" means to disasemble,clean,inspect,repair as nessary to ensure all items meet service limit or better tolerances, reasemble, and test. In order to say somthing was overhauled you need to have done them all, otherwise it was a repair. Only the manufacturer of an item may rebuild that item. To rebuild basicly means the same thing as overhaul except that all items must meet new tolerances and the manufacturer has the option to start a new log at (0) time. If you assembled your engine from a kit then you are the manufacturer and as such may rebuild it. hope this helps, Russ

Terms like overhaul may impress a pool of potential BUYERS, but probably not a pool of potential JURERS.

Just write down what you did. An experienced buyer will know that the "top" end was overhauled without you saying such.