markscogg

Well Known Member
What kind of tape should I use for trying out a rudder trim tab?
Rudder is already painted - don't want to hurt the paint when pulling it off.
Thanks

Duct tape ("200 MPH tape") worked fine for me.

I taped it down good and flew for several hours of testing with it.

Once done (appropriate length determined), double sided tape worked.

James

markscogg said:
What kind of tape should I use for trying out a rudder trim tab?
Rudder is already painted - don't want to hurt the paint when pulling it off.
Thanks

carpet tape worked for me

I just experimented with my rudder trim tab today. I used double sided carpet tape from Lowes. Flew with it, landed removed the tab and stuck it back on with same tape, flew it again and it worked fine. Not sure if the tape is the permanent solution. Some say it will hold for years. Jack

Build9A said:
I just experimented with my rudder trim tab today. I used double sided carpet tape from Lowes. Flew with it, landed removed the tab and stuck it back on with same tape, flew it again and it worked fine. Not sure if the tape is the permanent solution. Some say it will hold for years. Jack
I used carpet tape and found the trim tab on the floor of the hangar the other day - the glue had melted when the temperature got into the high 90s! Now I will have to get it all painted and pop rivet it on.

Pete

Sticky Situation

Build9A said:
....I used double sided carpet tape from Lowes. Flew with it, landed removed the tab and stuck it back on with same tape, flew it again and it worked fine. Not sure if the tape is the permanent solution. Some say it will hold for years. Jack
Almost ditto........ It gets pretty steamy around here, but after months of bonded integrity using the double sided carpet tape that Home Depot carries, I felt confident enough to leave it in place and went ahead and faired the forward edge of the tab to a smooth transition with the rudder using proseal. Its all painted now and only time will tell if that was a good idea or not. :rolleyes:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I used a 3M heavy duty double sided from Wal-Mart. This stuff is tuff. I had a time getting it off to adjust the lenght of the trim tab. I think if I had it to do over I would use the duct tape method till I got the trim tab where I wanted it and then the double sided tape for the permanent solution.

Last edited:
I used carpet tape on a customers -6. It worked fine for about a year. When he brought it in for the next annual condition inspection, it was gone along with the paint under it. I replaced it with blind rivets.