Davepar

Well Known Member
I'm finally getting around to ordering safety wire and pliers, and now I see there are choices. Which size wire will I need? .032? 0.41? or both? And which size pliers are most handy 6" or 9"? And I see Cleaveland sells reversible pliers. Are those useful?

Thanks,
Dave

.032 safety wire works on most everything except the prop where you will need .041. I find that the longer safety wire pliers are more convenient. I have both and seldom use the shorter ones. I can't image why you would need reversable pliers.
Mel, DAR

should be whatever size the hole is your lockwiring to or from determines the size of the wire, I have both short and long in my toolbox, I will sell you the long style real cheap, the shorty does it all and better in tight spaces, reversible because sometimes you just gotta go a different direction to get the job done

I keep a pair of the short safety-wire pliers in my plane's tool kit along with a small, 35mm film canister of 0.032" safety wire for field repairs...Rosie

Last edited:
Thanks all. I ordered both sizes of wire, and the longer pliers for now. I'm sure I'll have 10 safety wiring tools by the time the project is finished. :p

I'm waiting for the post " I sure didn't need those long ones after all " the only style available at one time was just the longer ones and finally they came out with the shorty, even though most mechs prefer the shorty now, the longer is still better kept in the toolbox.....lol, do you ever use any .020 wire anybody ?

.020" safety wire

The only place I've used .020" safety wire is on electrical connectors on jet aircraft.