N941WR

Legacy Member
I'm ready to cut the oil door in my James Aircraft cowl.

Could someone with a Vans cowl let me know what size their oil door is?

BTW, the James cowl does not have a depression for the door, nore does it come with a door. Not a big deal as I laid up some FG over the cowl where the door should go.

Last edited:
door(s)?

Bill,
just gotta put in my $.02

everytime I use my oil door, I wish it were an inch bigger, especially to pull the cowl piano hinge pins,( and I don't have big mitts!) ( I think they are about 5x5"..but someone can correct me, please!) If your SJ cowl isn't 'hinged'......... ignore !

the other $.01
I really wish I had a door on the 'other' side, to access the battery,( hook up a solar charger, or jump start) look at things more thoroughly during preflight etc.

you may now return to your regularly scheduled program :)

Last edited:
Perry,

Thanks for the tips. I'm not using piano hinges, so no need to make it extra large.

My battery is on the right side, in the standard location, why is yours on the left?

BTW, I'm still looking to confirm the door size.

Bill,
Stock RV8 door size is 6x6.

Good move with the exterior layup to later use as a female door mold.

As I recall a James cowl is sorta thin. If so I'd suggest thickening the cowl on the inside of the door area before cutting the hole, perhaps an 9x9 patch, 4 plies of 9 oz. The extra strength around the big hole is a good idea, but the less obvious benefit is that the thickness lets you build an equally thick, non-flexible door.

When cured scuff it to remove any bumps and lumps, apply a few coats of PVA, then lay up another 4 plies which will later be your flange. When cured peel it off, wash down the PVA, and trim to shape. Cut your door opening, slick the edges, then scuff the parts and bond the flange into place.

5x5 on my James cowl. I'm using hinges to hold the cowl and the door could be bigger and aft a touch. But I'm not moving it now.

Thanks everyone!

6x6 it shall be.

Dan, good suggestion on adding some extra layers on the inside of the cowl. I was thinking of ringing it with three layers over a section of aquarium tubing. The tubing will add the strength without requiring that may layups.

Like you, and some of the others, I will be using Hartwell latches, two in my case, and the hidden hinge. All salvaged from my old cowl.

(BTW, I gave the old cowl to a chapter member who is building a rotary power Zenair 801 who is going to cut it up even more than it was already damaged.)

where's the battery? 'don need no steenkin'........

Bill,
I'm not the builder, so had to do some head-scratchin to answer....why left side?
I guess with the brake fluid reservoir, the primer and gascolator ( Canajun, eh?), there just wasn't a lot of real estate left! :) I mean, right.

It seems to make sense to have much of the fuel stuff on the side with the electric pump, and lots of the 'lectricul stuff on the pilot side.

go figgur, hunh?
good luck with yer door!

I wish mine was bigger

Mine is larger than a stock Van's and I wish it was big enough to pour oil directly into the engine without a funnel. Two inches lower would do it.

Hans