blueflyer

Well Known Member
I plan to have pilot and pax side brakes. Some folks are telling me I need to use this pressure valve to connect the brake to the pilot and pax pedals. I have a reservoir on all 4 pedals. (repeat this setup for the right beake too obviously)
Hoofpressurevalve.jpg

I thought it was best to connect the pilot/pax pedal with the T below which would then run to the brake.
AN834CTFitting.jpg

What is the standard practice out there? I would think the T would allow the pax to add a little touch of braking to the pilots input, but the valve will only let either the pilot or pax have control of the brake system at one time.

You may want to provide the type of aircraft that you're building. Van's passenger brakes kit contains instructions for how to do it in the side-by-side aircraft.

Its an old 6 project that was basically unloaded on me. I didnt get any documents, plans or anything. The builder died and his elderly wife just wanted stuff moved. There were 3 rudders in the mess of a hangar, looked like a partial wing kit of an 8 and a couple of 6 fuses. It looked like the man that passed kind of bought bits and pieces of RV kits. I dont know what he was going to do with them. Anyway, I'm building a 7, but Im only at the emp stage, so I dont have the brake system plans yet. I guess that would come with the fuse or FWF kit. So any help on how the pilot/pax/brake line is usually "T"ed together sure would help.

Last edited:
Negative, Mr. R.

The passenger brakes simply feed in to the pilot side brakes...no tees used. The output of the passenger side brakes feed the input side of the pilot's brakes, so the airplane could be soloed from the right seat as well.

The output from the pilot's side brakes go to the wheels.

Best,

For the system like Van's provides with the common reservoir, it is plumbed like Pierre described. If you have a reservoir on each master cylinder at each pedal and there is no input port like the Van's cylinders, then you may need that shuttle valve to prevent the fluid pressure from one cylinder just bleeding off into the other right or left brake cylinder. The output ports may be blocked when the cylinders are at rest in which case the shuttle will not be necessary. Try it without the shuttle valve first. If fluid pukes up into the other corresponding cylinder when applying brake pressure, then you will need the shuttle valve.

Roberta

Van's design - Passenger brakes are added in series between the pilot brakes and the reservoir. When a passenger applies the brakes, the fluid bypasses the master cylinders on the pilots side because the valves in the cylinder are open. Extremely simply design.

Brake - Pilot master - Pax master - reservoir.

If you add just a T - then when the pilot applies the brakes, the fluid is going to flow back through the pax cyliners and you won't have brakes. When a brake pedal is not depressed, the cylinders a free flowing in both directions.

If you put a valved T - then you have added another point of failure but it will be required for the brakes to work.

Keep it simple. As they say in 6 Sigma - Removing as many points of failure will result in less errors.

That was the question........

Answer...... Order Van's preview plans and build it the way Van designed it.