RandallBrown10

I'm New Here
First let me introduce myself as this is my first post. My name is Randy and I'm currently living in southeast Georgia serving in the United States Army for the past 8 years as a Fire Support Forward Observer. Since I was a kid I've wanted to fly and originally planned to join the Air Force to be a pilot but life had other plans and priorities for me.

Now I'm looking into the world of kit planes and I've been the most impressed by what I have seen in the RV-4 and RV-8. I want something that is two seated tandem. That is a good general flyer but has teeth for when the wife isn't riding shotgun. Something that I can build myself but also isn't super complex that I would be in over my head.

So to all you Veteran flyers out there perhaps one of you can school me on the differences between the two as far as building or flight differences. All help, ideas and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully, Randall Brown

Welcome to VAF!

First let me introduce myself as this is my first post. My name is Randy and I'm currently living in southeast Georgia serving in the United States Army ---------------

Respectfully, Randall Brown

Randy,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF.

Thanks for your service.

The 8 will take you a lot less time to build, maybe half or better. Also, the 8 is a bit more roomy inside.

But, I think the 4 is the better looking of the two..................

I would suggest you find a ride in each one, and then build what you want.

Last edited:
Randy,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF.

Thanks for your service.

The 8 will take you a lot less time to build, maybe half or better. Also, the 8 is a bit more roomy inside.

But, I think the 4 is the better looking of the two..................

I would suggest you find a ride in each one, and then build what you want.

See that's what I thought when looking at it the RV-4 looks a little snugger like a fighter. Which I'm only 5'7 so I'm not a big guy anyways. But I do like the sliding canopy of the RV-8, don't know if you can do that to the -4.

As already mentioned, an RV-8 is going to be a LOT less work. The RV-8 kit is decades newer. There are many more active RV-8 builders online. Resale value of an RV-8 is much higher than an RV-4 -- so if you wanted to buy something already built, an RV-4 could be a good deal.

You don't build a -4 these days, you buy a completed one. You can't build one for what a finished one would cost you. If traveling two up is your goal though, the -8 is the way to go.

Welcome Randall,

I have my 7A at Wright and I currently have a -10 under way in the garage. Let me know if you'd like to go flying, visit the build, etc.

Welcome Randall,

I have my 7A at Wright and I currently have a -10 under way in the garage. Let me know if you'd like to go flying, visit the build, etc.

Definitely would be down to fly or more so learn/help out building. Figure the more I learn now the further ahead of the power curve I'd be later.

Last edited:
The -8 has more room, carries more load with more CG loading options, is far easier to build, has a sliding canopy so you can taxi in with your arm resting on the canopy rail for the extra cool factor (in an earlier age you'd have a pack of camels rolled up in your T-shirt sleeve), has a much bigger panel that has space for enough avionics to make your home look like a trivial investment by comparison, offers space for rear seat controls, and comes in a version that has a training wheel up front.

The -4 requires you actually build it, is smaller and lighter so it flys better, offers a full bubble canopy that does not impede pilot's vision with a roll bar, costs about half as much, looks twice as good, and was designed and offered on the market when the concept of putting autopilots, IFR panels, and such was not only not contemplated but generally scorned as heresy to those who wanted the true sportplane experience.

So from my way of thinking, the -8 is more refined, the -4 is a bit rough around the edges. The -8 is the straight A student headed to medical school you hope your daughter brings home for dinner; the -4 is the rebellious kid who doesn't pay attention to convention, drops out of college to climb the Andes, ends up starting a tech company, and sails around the world on a raft.

Build a -8 if you listen to your mind; build a -4 if you tend to follow your heart.

There is no right answer and I'm glad I didn't have the choice to cloud my thinking.

Last edited:
That's the most straight-talking and best comparison I've seen! Vans might want to put it on their website.

Rbibb
You make me want to sell my -8 project and buy a -4. I thought I was more the heart thinking kind. Guess I just learned something lol.

"REAL GREAT WRIT-UP"
Needs to make tomorrow's frond page

A couple of other thoughts (from a non-4 or -8 builder).

The -4 requires you to build jigs for everything. Not difficult but another task and because the jigs are required, more care must be taken to make sure everything is straight.

The -8 is pre-punched, ribs, skins, bulkheads, etc. so no jigging is required. It goes together straight and square right out of the shipping crate.

I have a theory that average plane takes about 2500 hours to build, regardless of how simple it is to build. With the -4 you will spend more time building and with the -8 you will spend more time customizing it (panel, options, etc.).

With the -8, I?m stunned at how much ?stuff? my friends can cram into the two baggage compartments. Not to mention it has a ready location for a removable smoke tank in the front baggage compartment.

The good news is that both are great planes!

Best of luck!

Should I build a -4 or -8

Great feature article re the RV 4 in the latest Kit Airplane magazine you should read.

Robert