Plane krazy

Setting the economy aside i was wandering what model RV resells better?
understanding anything will sell if the price is low enough but for a fair market value which model would sell quicker?
I s the RV market getting populated enough to lower any demand

ken

Tri-gear

Don't know for sure but I've read that the -A models sell better because some pilots are leery of taildraggers and a lot of the purchasers are lower time pilots. Insurance premiums tend to be less, as well. YMMV

Last edited:
I don't know how to answer other than to suggest that looking at the numbers of various models SOLD by Vans might reflect inherent market preference and hence saleability.

understanding anything will sell if the price is low enough but for a fair market value which model would sell quicker?

Ken,

Time on the market is one of the determining factors of fair market value. Some models (RV-4 and 6 vs. 7 and 8) are lower priced primarily because there is less demand (and /or greater supply) of them.

That being said, I would agree, A models seem to have a wider appeal. The 8 always seems to command a bit of a premium. Some fluctuate, for sure. The 3 has become more popular and the 9 seems to be in more demand, relatively, than a year or so ago. If you are using this criteria to determine what to build, you are probably wasting your time. By the time you are done, things will have changed.

Bob Kelly

When I built my -6A, I had no intentions of selling it. Well things changed and I sold it. I had 40K in it flew it for 3 years and sold it for 56K. A 40% profit if you don't count my labor.

With that said, I am building a 12 with the intention of selling it. I am betting the LSA market will be there and with Vans track record, the 12 will be a hot commodity. Besides the target audience of the LSAs is usually the ones with the $$$$.

Besides I love the building process as well as the flying. So if it sells quick, good. If not, that?s good too. I happily fly it till it does...

change your outlook

When I built my -6A, I had no intentions of selling it. Well things changed and I sold it. I had 40K in it flew it for 3 years and sold it for 56K. A 40% profit if you don't count my labor.

With that said, I am building a 12 with the intention of selling it. I am betting the LSA market will be there and with Vans track record, the 12 will be a hot commodity. Besides the target audience of the LSAs is usually the ones with the $$$$.

Besides I love the building process as well as the flying. So if it sells quick, good. If not, that?s good too. I happily fly it till it does...

you mean you are building a 12 to fly until you get tired of it, and at that point you'll put it up for sale.

right?

ken
The 6A was the best selling kit aircraft ever offered. In time, the 7A will take it's place on top.

Danny, no doubt your wording is what he meant. It is very easy to mistype. I do it all the time.