Hey Kevin, since there are so many flying apps out there, I think there's probably a shortage of builder support apps. One thing I could have used was a hardware pick list. I was always at the airport or shop and had to write down what I needed, then usually forgot the list on Monday AM. A mobile app that would allow a pic list, or manual entry may be handy.

Now if there was an API for Aircraft Spruce/ Van's/ Stein, etc, through which you could just upload your list, hummm...

Jim

Hey Kevin, since there are so many flying apps out there, I think there's probably a shortage of builder support apps. One thing I could have used was a hardware pick list. I was always at the airport or shop and had to write down what I needed, then usually forgot the list on Monday AM. A mobile app that would allow a pic list, or manual entry may be handy.

For this, you might try creating a shortcut widget to the google tasks application. It works great for me, I have a task for "RV maintenance" and "RV to-buy"

Checklist

A configurable checklist app.

I would also like to see a version of Weathermeister for the Droid like the one for the iPhone/iPod, but that's a project for Dan Checkoway.

Last edited:
geology reality browser

I've often wanted to have a geologist flying with me over some of the incredible sights we can see from the air. At one time I thought that a museum style audio tour would be great for flying. You would pick your route, download applicable tours and they would say "make a flight plane with these waypoints. When you get to waypoint 1, at altitude X, click play" and it would tell you about the geology you're looking at.

With the Droid it would be great to point the camera at what you're looking at and have an audio description like a reality browser with audio.

The content could be community driven, but the framework and programming for the Droid would be needed.

Jeremy Constant

Love the museum style audio tour idea. If it were GPS driven, you wouldn't need to follow a set path.

I had a Palm Tungsten (still have it, don't use it anymore) conneted to a bluetooth GPS. It had a very simple app that logged the GPS, then I could transfer that log to a PC and see the flight in 3D with map, speed, alt etc. I don't remember the name of that program, but it is used by glider pilots. With Android the whole thing could be made on the phone I guess. That would be cool.

This is open to iPhone and other smartphones...

I would like a simple pilot log book. Not one designed for the charter or corporate pilot but one designed for an aircraft owner.

The main thing I'm looking for is for it to have a Hobbs time input that carries over to the next flight entry. This will figure my hours flown and help with maintenance. I could create one myself but I just don't have time any more.

Maybe even have an option to upload airports visited to google maps or the likes.

This is open to iPhone and other smartphones...

I would like a simple pilot log book. Not one designed for the charter or corporate pilot but one designed for an aircraft owner.

The main thing I'm looking for is for it to have a Hobbs time input that carries over to the next flight entry. This will figure my hours flown and help with maintenance. I could create one myself but I just don't have time any more.

Maybe even have an option to upload airports visited to google maps or the likes.

Except for the last part, I use Dan's logshare.com. It is awesome. Also works fine on my phone.

Route Weather and Sectionals

I'd like an Android app that lets me input in my departure airport, destination airport and a few other airports inbetween and then push go and the app returns with metars, tafs, weather along the route, and displays my route super-imposed on top of the sectional maps, (or IFR enroute charts) with a color indication of VFR, MVFR, or IFR. And show my position on the route and update my position as I fly it.

And version two could add rubber banding to my route line so I can pull it to other airports.

Is that asking too much?

I've been using an app called aCar which allows you to input your odometer reading when you fill up your car, how much fuel and what price. It keeps track and displays info on charts and graphs, and gives you averages, etc. It also has maintenance reminders and will let you know when you need oil changes and whatnot. I would love to see this same type app tweaked for aircraft. I could put in hobbs time, how many gallons and what price, and it would track it all for me - how many gallons per hour, how much spent on fuel, etc. Also, how many quarts of oil have been consumed over a certain number of hours, when the next oil change is due, when transponder batteries were changed and when they are due again, etc..

android apps

I got an Android tablet for xmas and have spent time loading apps. I find some weather apps and with an internet browser there is lots of weather info available. But there are not the wide choice of flight planning apps like the iPAD has,I know just buy an iPAD. A simple low end flight planning app would find a market.

Last edited:
What aviation apps do you use?

Hi Kevin,

As you are most likely an avid Android user, what aviation apps do you currently use on your Android? Which device do you use? I have an HTC Desire, and it's super. I'm looking at the Galaxy, mainly just for fun.

Thanks,
Mickey

Nook Color

Kevin,
A few apps for the Nook Color which has a Droid OS would be wellcomed. It is a much better size for kneeboard use than the I-Pad and has an excellent screen. It's an open slate right now and could be a money maker.
Just don't write a program that infringes on any patents!! :eek:

With all the accelerometers in these things, I would love to see a prop balancing app. Somehow clamp the device near the engine, somehow get a (optical or magnetic) prop position signal (via bluetooth?) into the device and voi'la, get a display of max g's vs prop position sense.

With all the accelerometers in these things, I would love to see a prop balancing app. Somehow clamp the device near the engine, somehow get a (optical or magnetic) prop position signal (via bluetooth?) into the device and voi'la, get a display of max g's vs prop position sense.

i think better equipment is used for this for a reason......

i think better equipment is used for this for a reason......

Yep. The accelerometer in a real prop balancer is much more accurate, plus you need to mount it solidly to the engine case to get a good reading.

I'd like to see an RPM-by-sound app so it could be used to check a mechanical tach's accuracy.