Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I noticed after doing inventory on my fuselage kit that I have rivets with two different markings in my AN426AD4-6 rivet bin. One type of rivet has a dimple in the middle and a single mark outside the dimple that looks like a cross between and an 'F' and a '#'. The other type rivet has a dimple in the middle and the letters 'OIDC' around the dimple.

Are these both AN426AD4-6 rivets? Or did I miss something in my inventory?

I would bet that....

I noticed after doing inventory on my fuselage kit that I have rivets with two different markings in my AN426AD4-6 rivet bin. One type of rivet has a dimple in the middle and a single mark outside the dimple that looks like a cross between and an 'F' and a '#'. The other type rivet has a dimple in the middle and the letters 'OIDC' around the dimple.

Are these both AN426AD4-6 rivets? Or did I miss something in my inventory?

I would bet that they are both 426AD rivets with different manufacturers.

The manufacturers are now required to have unique registered identifying markings on solid aluminum rivets larger than 3/32 nominal dia. They may be required on other materials to, but I have not verified it.

Sounds like yours all do, but make sure they all have a dimple in them. I received some OIDC AN426AD4-5's with no dimple and they were very soft. Van's confirmed the mistake and issued a notice to others.

...I received some OIDC AN426AD4-5's with no dimple and they were very soft...

Minor nitpick: Actually, those would be AN426A rivets, not AN426ADs. ADs (dimpled) are 2117 alloy, As (no marking) are 1100, and Ds (raised dots) are 2017.

Thanks, Bob K.

use for A rivets?

I just rec'd my latest order from 'spruce; unfortunately didn't realize that I ordered a few sizes of A rivets instead of AD. Didn't discover 'till after I dumped the new rivets into the old bins... have some sorting to do! Is there any common use for the A rivets? Or should I trash these as a means to prevent using an A rivet where I wouldn't want one?? Fortunately, it's only a few sizes, 1/4lb each so no great loss.

A Rivets

Trash the A rivets. Cannot be used for structure.
Personally, I would toss all of them that are mixed up. Rivets are cheap.

HTML:
Rivets are cheap.
unless you need only three rivets but need to buy a 1/4 pound of them. Then they're $5.00 each :eek:
Needed three AN426AD5-6 rivets to attach the ring around my Garmin GMU44. Anyone else need a few? I have spares!!!!

HTML:
Rivets are cheap.
unless you need only three rivets but need to buy a 1/4 pound of them. Then they're $5.00 each :eek:
Needed three AN426AD5-6 rivets to attach the ring around my Garmin GMU44. Anyone else need a few? I have spares!!!!

Just a tip, at your next spruce order, buy a minumum amount of long (like -16) rivets. You can always cut them down to the length you need. This way you never have to worry about be short a rivet or two and having to order a whole bag and wait for delivery.

HTML:
Rivets are cheap.

Spruce let's you order 0.13 of a pound. $2.20 total for the rivets you mention...:)