RetiredRacer

Well Known Member
We have a Avco/Lycoming 235 and getting to the stage of ordering the finish kit etc. But cannot seem to find a good fixed prop for the 235.
If I could get some feed back from anyone using the 235 as to what prop you are using and what you would recomend.

Thanks

Bob n Robyn

(Brisbane Australia)

Last edited:
Bob,

Craig Catto cut a 68" dia x 64" pitch prop for my O-290-D2 powered RV-9. That is the exact same prop that he cut for Larry's O-235 powered RV-3.

I suspect this prop will work great on your -9 as my O-290 can really over spin it. At the 2600 RPM redline my engine has I'm only putting out 64% power and cruising at 165 MPH. The upside is that I can easily see over 1750 FPM climbs with two big 'uns aboard and that is with my 135 HP engine. (At 10,000? DA I can spin it up to 2870 RPM.)

One word of caution, every prop maker cuts their prop differently so a 68x64 prop from a different maker may not be the same as our Cattos.

Metal Prop For 0-235

Sensenich builds a metal prop for the RV-9 / 0-235. Stan Shannon used it
on his two 9's, and as a dealer, sold one to me several years ago. About a 4 week delivery time, drop-shipped from the factory. The model number is
72CKS9-0-62. As I understand, it is a purpose-built prop for an 0-235 on a faster plane. Climb performance is somewhat restricted due to the pitch, but it will apparently produce Van's speeds without over-turning the engine. Can't report my performance, because I am still building.