Mine is a wedge back pack from Para-Innovators. Specs look very much like what you are looking at. I paid about $600. But they're probably a bit higher now. I bought mine is 1985.

Last edited:
I recomend Paraphenalia Softies

I've owned emergency chutes since my first military surplus unit in 1973. Since then I have about 1,600 hours sitting on them. Don't get military surplus! Of the Security, Strong and Paraphenalia Softies I've owned, the Softie is the best in terms of comfort and quality of construction. Please read an article written by Alan Silver, master rigger at this link before purchasing a chute. http://www.silverparachutes.com/uploads/BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR PARACHUTE.htm

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB (FWF & wiring)

Mini-Softie

glider4 said:
I've owned emergency chutes since my first military surplus unit in 1973. Since then I have about 1,600 hours sitting on them. Don't get military surplus! Of the Security, Strong and Paraphenalia Softies I've owned, the Softie is the best in terms of comfort and quality of construction. Please read an article written by Alan Silver, master rigger at this link before purchasing a chute. http://www.silverparachutes.com/uploads/BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR PARACHUTE.htm

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB (FWF & wiring)
I like the Softie ones too...

Aircraft Spruce has some stock colors cheap (well cheaper... :) ...)....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/softie_parachutes1.php

Pay the full price and you can get them with custom colors and three stripes co-ordinated to your aircraft colors.... :)

Of all the chutes I've used in my sailplanes, the Softie is the most comfortable, and doesn't feel like it's been packed with rocks in it... :rolleyes:

gil A

gil you make me laugh

az_gila said:
Pay the full price and you can get them with custom colors and three stripes co-ordinated to your aircraft colors.... :)

gil A

it wont matter if it matches to me when im watching it fall to the ground hoping it doesnt land on a school bus.. :eek:

Canopy...

cytoxin said:
it wont matter if it matches to me when im watching it fall to the ground hoping it doesnt land on a school bus.. :eek:
Actually it's the pack that is color co-ordinated, not the canopy... :D

gilA

I've always considered Strong Enterpises and excellent manuf. They are conservative in design and build a good product. I have not seen a new wedge 311. You usually can't go wrong with Strong's products and any reputable rigger will be able to service the rig (inspection and repack).

You will need a rigger to perform the inspections and repacks if you intend to comply with the FAA regs. Establishing contact with a rigger before you buy is not unusal. I have people contact me regularly for my recommendations. Your local rigger may know something local for sale or may have a dealership that allows you to pay a little less.

One biased source for information or ordering is Western Parachute Sales
(800) 200-5867

I second the recommendation to Allen Silver's website.

Rob Herndon
Caldwell, Idaho RV6 223RH - senior rigger

I had a wedge softie for several years and really liked it, the only bad thing was the crossover "aerobatic" harness (but you can specify a different harness type), it put too much nylon on your chest and was too hot. Only got rid of it because the airplane was sold and it was included.

Recently I bought a National flat. Although the folks at National have been very helpful in trying to help me this parachute is not very comfortable right now - I get really bad back pain after 20 minutes (not in an RV). The National folks have some more ideas, any get full marks for customer service, but if I were to buy another it would be a softie.

Pete

Parachute

I just purchased a Strong seatpack model 304 from a classified ad in Vansairforce.net. I paid $750 and it looks brand new. I had it inspected and repacked by a certified rigger and he said it looks great and was not tricky to pack. I assisted to see how it is done and also inspect the canopy for myself. The previous owner used it in his RV6 and I'm going to use it in my RV4. It is not quite as comfortable to sit on as my comforfoam cushons, but not bad. It has a built in layer of padding on the seat and back. This is the only emergency parachute I have every really looked at so I can't provide additional input.

How did it work for you

I just purchased a Strong seatpack model 304 from a classified ad in Vansairforce.net. I paid $750 and it looks brand new. I had it inspected and repacked by a certified rigger and he said it looks great and was not tricky to pack. I assisted to see how it is done and also inspect the canopy for myself. The previous owner used it in his RV6 and I'm going to use it in my RV4. It is not quite as comfortable to sit on as my comforfoam cushons, but not bad. It has a built in layer of padding on the seat and back. This is the only emergency parachute I have every really looked at so I can't provide additional input.

Well, you have had it for a year now, how does it work in your -4?

Has anyone bailed out of an RV?

Are there any people who have successfully used a chute when bailing out of an RV? If so, what was the reason for jumping?

chute talk

Charlie,
I am still working on my 4; not quite flying yet. I have put on the parachute and sat in the airplane numerous times. The parachute seat pack fits snug down in between the spar and seat back, and is reasonably comfortable; a little firm for cross country but OK for flight testing and acro. I'm going to use it in place of the seat cushions for the phase 1 test period. I have the makings for upholstered seat cushions but I will put off that project, or hire someone, until after the plane is flying. By the way, the entire parachute, harness, etc. is pretty heavy. Lots of hardware on it so I guess it all adds up.