Pitts#25

Had a guy ask me today... on what page in the RV-8 building manual does the Quick Build kit begin assuming the tail surfaces are already finished? Never took the time to look myself so I thought I would ask here.

Thank you
Dennis

Last edited:
No specific page

There are a few paragraphs in the manual, in various places that say that there is no specific key place where the QB work ends and the builder picks up.
It is the builder's responsibility to go through the manual and check that each task is complete. Since the QB builders, for the most part, follow the manual, there is a fairly obvious area where the QB leaves off, and although not a perfectly clean transition, you can tell that this is the area you should double-check to see what is done.

My QB had some tasks partly finished, or trial fit with just finger-tight fasteners, or other things that required the builder to finish up that area.

Page 1... Read Everything!

The Q-Builder is equally responsible as the Std-Builder for ensuring all previously manufactured components are, in fact, built and installed correctly. Remember, your name is on the Data Plate no matter which version of the build type. Assume nothing, and inspect each component with care as you go. Throw a wrench on all fasteners and ensure that they are torqued properly. This will also serve to familiarize the builder with project planning, construction manual, drawings, procedures, and outstanding tasks that haven't been completed, etc.

Mentally walk through each step in the manual that has been previously completed and envision what was done and verify that this was actually done. Then simply pick up the process where it was left off.

If approached this way, the builder will have far fewer building issues and questions, and much more confidence in the finished product.

I had same question in 2005, but ....

..this is what I did so I become more confident with the whole project. Do it !

2c

Page 1... Read Everything!

The Q-Builder is equally responsible as the Std-Builder for ensuring all previously manufactured components are, in fact, built and installed correctly. Remember, your name is on the Data Plate no matter which version of the build type. Assume nothing, and inspect each component with care as you go. Throw a wrench on all fasteners and ensure that they are torqued properly. This will also serve to familiarize the builder with project planning, construction manual, drawings, procedures, and outstanding tasks that haven't been completed, etc.

Mentally walk through each step in the manual that has been previously completed and envision what was done and verify that this was actually done. Then simply pick up the process where it was left off.

If approached this way, the builder will have far fewer building issues and questions, and much more confidence in the finished product.

Page 1... Read Everything! ...snip

I've had several builders ask me this question and this is my standard answer. Surprisingly there were a couple that didn't want to and probably didn't read and mark off every step.

I'm not sure how you would get in for the first flight if you weren't sure every step in the manual was complete?

Karl