Votes: 63 63.0%
  • Kelly

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Tempest

Votes: 22 22.0%

• Total voters

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
Am interested in pros/cons, opinions on which of the brands of oil filters you use (Tempest, Champion, Kelly).

I like the idea of having a magnet in the Tempest, on the other hand most metal is gonna be non-ferrous.

Why Champion?

As of today, about 2/3 of respondents selected Champion filters. Why? Better quality/features, brand name, recommended by their mechanics?

Breakfast of Champions

As of today, about 2/3 of respondents selected Champion filters. Why? ......
You ask "why" 2/3 of the respondents to this poll chose Champion oil filters. Fair question. As for me, I do not begin to pretend to enlightened technical savvy in such matters. My RV's are fitted with Champion oil filters for two significant reasons. First: Champion is the oil filter Lycoming chooses to fit (and also include a spare) to its factory brand new engines. That fact speaks volumes and I am inclined to perceive as a de facto endorsement by Lycoming is there ever was one. Second: Van's uses and sells the Champion brand. While other builder's choice of oil filter may well be driven by price or (perceived) technical merit, in my case I happily defer to the vast and expert technical expertise of Lycoming Engines and the solid, sober business practices of Van's Aircraft.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...41695972-104-606&browse=em&product=oil-filter

syrv3o.jpg

4tomjc.jpg

What Rick said!

As of today, about 2/3 of respondents selected Champion filters. Why? Better quality/features, brand name, recommended by their mechanics?

What Rick said and the fact that I have been using Champion filters for 35 years on several airplanes with zero problems.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The Champion rep at OSH said they would put a magnet inside the oil filter if they thought it was a good idea. Kind of a ballsy statement.

I bid on a case of West German oil filters at the Starman auction at Mesa AZ. I probably would've sold them and bought Champions had I won the auction.

Steve