java

Well Known Member
Got my new panel in and it got me to thinking. What else can be done? And more importantly, would I want it?

I already have dual axis autopilot. Honestly, even in the short time I've had it, I find myself turning it off regularly to get low and look at something, etc.

I have synthetic vision. Pretty cool when Betty talks to me about terrain, but I fly vfr so can see out the window anyway.

XM weather is pretty awesome, and when needing to get somewhere I see the utility.

I have mode S, but it doesn't work where I am. Perhaps it would be useful, but I follow standard separation rules and feel pretty good about maintaining separation.

Don't get me wrong. I love the benefits my new panel gives me. And trust me, I'm a gadget guy. I already have more than I "need". I just struggle to think of what else I could really use.

Free weather? That would be nice, but its not additional capability.

FADEC? Perhaps, but I don't feel that put out to manage the other two levers, and to be honest I kinda like it (remember... I'm a gadget guy).

ADS-B? See the point about free weather and traffic.

What else? Where do you see things going, and more than that, what do you see down the road that you would actually really like/need?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just added the LED strip to the panel under the glareshield this weekend. Didn't even occur to me to take a photo... I might wait until I get the dimmer for it, it's amazingly bright right now.

What about a smoke system? :)

And don't discount finding free weather/traffic options. Paying for XM will get old. ADS-B isn't coming fast enough for me. I'd buy one of the bluetooth devices now if we had coverage for ADS-B in Canada.

If the weather allows it, come out to the west coast for the fly-in at Langley on the 22nd!

If the weather allows it, come out to the west coast for the fly-in at Langley on the 22nd!

Hey Rob. Hope things have been well since your visit out here in Calgary. About all that limits me now is weather and work. Langley date noted. Any hangar space?

Airplanes are typically a requirements driven endeavor. In other words, the mission dictates the equipment. As a self proclaimed "gadget guy", are you sure you are not simply following your desire to "add stuff"? It sounds a little bit like a solution in search of a problem.

Maybe your "what's next" is formal aerobatic training, or a floatplane rating, or instrument ticket...

...or maybe "more gas" and flying more often?

Drone mode

Take 1/2 a disco ball and attach to underside. Then put that really dark window treatment they put on cheap low-rider honda civics.

Everyone on the ramp will think you're an NSA spy drone. :)