yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I'll be completing the fuselage kit soon ( a lot later than I'd thought!) and would like to draw on the group's experience again. It would appear that it would be easier to go to the avionics kit next and install that before the canopy, etc. What's the best next step: avionics kit or finish kit? Both are in hand.

Thanks!

Wayne N143WM reserved

Well

Personally, i would do the finish kit first. Things change so quickly...whether lighting package, glass panel, even radios. The finish kit burns up a ton of time. I would go in that direction and finish all you can. I did it that way and am very happy. Some friends are roughed in for dynon, and now need to redo panel for the new dynon. Some have put in airgizmo for garmin 195 and now need to redo for the 595 and havent even started on canopy. Just my opinion, your mission may vary. Happy holidays.

Agreed...

I agree completely with Rick.
The finishkit will take quite some time, so do that first. (including the canopy, YUK!)
Once the canopy is done, then remove and store it while finishing the plane.
Once fitted, the canopy is only in the way if you leave it on.

Also; wait with taking delivery with the engine and prop until you're done with the finishkit.

When the engine and FF-kit is mostly installed, (including the baffles, YUK!) THEN I'd order and install the avionics. Be sure to check for leadtimes though.

One question though: you wrote that you have the avionics AT HAND? Does that mean that you have it already?
If so, I'd do the same sequence and send the avionics in for updating (if needed) just before installing.

Sequence

I have on hand all kits save firewall forward. I am not going to do anything about installing the avionics until all fiberglass sanding is complete on the canopy....the idea of dust getting into the avionics is not a happy thought.

I have the firewall forward on order to beat any Feb 1st price change, something to consider INHO.

John at Salida, CO

Finish kit before avionics...

I'll be completing the fuselage kit soon ( a lot later than I'd thought!) and would like to draw on the group's experience again. It would appear that it would be easier to go to the avionics kit next and install that before the canopy, etc. What's the best next step: avionics kit or finish kit? Both are in hand.

Thanks!

Wayne N143WM reserved

The RV-12 kit sequence is probably the result of very careful planning by the factory, since the plane is designed to be constructed by relatively inexperienced builders (like me). If you were to install the avionics kit before the finish kit you would have no wiring to hook up to the avionics! And, you would have to remove the radio trays to route the wiring which would be counter productive. If your avionics are in place when you do the canopy work, you would have to be very careful masking the panel against resin drips from the fiberglass layups. Cured resin on anything on the completed panel would simply ruin the appearance of the Dynon or radios. But, I think it is safe to go out of sequence on some things. For instance, it has been proven that hanging the rudder pedals should not be done until after the wiring is in, and you can look at the posts and blogs to be sure there is not going to be a problem.
Tony