rwarre

Well Known Member
Began cutting my sliding canopy flanges today. Tried the cutting discs from Vans with a air grinder, and my dremel. I like the dremel better but it is slow going. I live in a small town (no home depot) and the local ace hardware has a Roto Zip for $69. I don't think it is the same model as Lowes but hoping it my do the job. Can anyone give me some model number or their Roto Tip tool. Thanks Randy

7A engine and wheels on.

What's the hurry?

That dremel with the fiber disc will do a great job. The canopy is a place to really take your time.

Randy Hooper

Roto zip

I used the roto zip with a metal cutting disk and it went really well. 2 passes went the best. one to make a groove and one to finish the cut.

Began cutting my sliding canopy flanges today. Tried the cutting discs from Vans with a air grinder, and my dremel. I like the dremel better but it is slow going. I live in a small town (no home depot) and the local ace hardware has a Roto Zip for $69. I don't think it is the same model as Lowes but hoping it my do the job. Can anyone give me some model number or their Roto Tip tool. Thanks Randy

7A engine and wheels on.

Randy
I used the rotozip tool with a 90 degree adapter and metal cutoff disc. Cut extremely well and very good control, doesn't bog down. I believe I did buy it from Lowes and even though you don't have a store near you, go online to LOWES.com to get one.

Oldgeezer

RotoZip and a belt sander

Hi Randy,

I, too, went the RotoZip method and am quite pleased with its ease of use. I used the right-angle attachment with the metal cutting disc (similar to what Van's gives you in the finish kit). Unfortunately, the Van's cutting disc does not fit the arbor of the RotoZip. I dialed in a speed of ~2400 RPM giving me a disc speed of about 1200 RPM (the attachment has a 2:1 reduction ratio or there abouts) and that seemed to do pretty well (not to much power to go crazy with and enough power to gently cut my way through without binding).

When I got my cuts pretty close with the RotoZip, I then used a 4" belt sander with 80 grit to smooth the edges down to exactly where I wanted. Straight lines and smooth curves were pretty easy to do. I then finished the edges with 180 grit and a rubber sanding block and then beveled the edges.

Other plans that I have for the RotoZip are to cut some of my panel and sub-panel cut-outs (the square/rectangular ones, at least) using the jig-saw attachment.

Oh, and consider a full-body poly-propylene painters suit (<$10). The suit breathes so it's not too hot. The little plastic shavings stick to everything!

Practice on the far edges of the canopy to get a good feel of how things will work out.

Take care and good luck,