Can someone tell me what they mean or give me a link to what the numbers and letters designations mean on Lycoming engines,example, IO-360 or 0-320 e2d, etc??? I need to pick an engine for an RV4 and don't know which one to look at. Also, does an overhauled engine have the same life-span as it did when new??? All enlightenment on engines or links to educating me would be appreciated. Thanks for all info. Tom

This was posted before:

http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/Lycoming/Lyc_Cert_list.html

Some of this is also in Van's manuals. Remember that Lycoming made engines for numerous airframes, over a long time, hence all the different models. This is why Van's jokes that "rumor has it Lycoming once built two identical engines" or something like that.

Overhauled engines have basically two limits. One would be to "new limits", meaning the parts meet new specs whereas an engine overhauled to "service limits" may have things like the crank or cam ground down slightly etc.

I would think that a "new limits" engine should last longer but you will really find that how often an engine is flown and how it is taken care of will probably make a bigger difference in its longevity. A lot of private planes are not flown enough to reach TBO before something else goes wrong. I believe that Lycoming recommends twelve years between overhauls. Remember with an experimental you can do what you want. How wise your decision would be is another matter entirely.