Harvey L. Sorensen

Well Known Member
I am sure that this has been done before, but I think I would like moveable eleteric trim tabs on the alerons. I had it on a Q-200 that I finished in 1983 and it worked great. My problem with the RV-9 is the way the alerons are hinged. Has anyone done this and if so would you be willing to share how you did it and how did it work out.
Thanks in advance.
RV-9A, (DOUBLE EAGLE) 0320 D1A, CS prop, steam guages, 6.0 hours. :)

The simple mechanical one that Van's sells works great. Why complicate things.Also I have flown several RVs with both mechanical and electric elevator trim. I like the mechanical trim a lot better. Don

I have 1400 hrs on my RV8. When I finished it 7 years ago, it became obvious that an aeleron trim would be needed if I used more than 5 gallons of fuel from the wing tank. I looked at Vans aeleron trim and decided that the location of the servo moter astride of the aeleron spar would be a good idea, however, to attach it to a piece of piano hinge on the trailing edge of the aeleron, ( while practical) was heresey and an airplane as trim and slick as my RV8. So, I cutout a 6" x 1 1/2" from the outboard ( 1" in). I fabricated a new piece of trailing edge to match the cut out and attached to the aeleron with a piano hinge (hinge is concealed inside of tab and aeleron and attached on the top side with flush rivits). I then made an adjustable control arm and attached it internally to the bottom side of the tab, and also ran it up through the inside of the aeleron to the servo motor. I am able to obtain 1/2" deflection both up and down from center of trailing edge of aeleron. I used a MAC trim motor and 4 way switch on the control stick. I also rebalance the aeleron. I now have over 1000 hours on this set up and it still works perfect. ( on long cross XC trips, I like to use all of the fuel from one side so I know exactly how much fuel I have left) and I no longer have to hold the stick to one side. Also test flying up to 246 mph (max level speed) is free from any flutter.
Dick Martin
N233M RV8
the fast one