WHat keeps you from flying more?

• Cost (Fuel, Oil, Spare parts....)

Votes: 72 30.8%
  • Time (Just can't seem to get away from the daily grind!)

Votes: 71 30.3%
  • Weather (Does it have to be lousy every weekend?)

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • Nervous about the airplane (a common and fair issue - sometimes, you just worry!)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Nervous about my flying (Another common and fair issue - sometimes, you're just not comfortable!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spousal Disapproval (I get that "eveil eye" every time I get back from the airport)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (I can only fly when my horoscope is right, the airport is flooded frequently, etc...)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • No Airplane! (gotta get out there and pound more rivets....)

Votes: 55 23.5%

• Total voters

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I am going to go out on a limb here and speculate (I rarely do that....I prefer facts - but sometimes, it's fun!).....I am willing to bet that almost anyone who flies and RV wishes that they could fly it more than they do. Heck, if I could fly the airplane every single day for a couple of hours, I'd do it! And yes, I currently fly my -8 close to 300 hours per year. It's never enough!

So the question of the week is.....why don't you fly more? We all have things that limit us - time, cost, weather....none of these are things to be ashamed of - we all reach a limit in some way. I personally fly about any time I can get to the airport - but that pesky "work" thing tends to get in the way sometimes (even though some of my flying "is" work...).

So, here are a few poll choices for you - certainly not an exhaustive list - please elaborate on what serves as your "limiting factor"....

Work certainly cuts into the things that we would rather be doing. Also, for us, it is a 30min. drive to the airport. It generally takes us right at three hours door to door to just go fly for an hour. Those are the major contributors for us.

Cost & Time

I guess I fly as much as I want,,, but,,,, if I had more time and money I might do more. I have averaged 154 hours a year since getting PPL in 1984. I have continuously owned airplanes all but 6 months since. Now I have three and take one up most nice days, if just to warm the oil up.
Wish I had more missions, a purpose to fly. BC Fly n Eat,,,, Vacations are planed around GA flying, and OSH. Still need more destinations.. Idaho and Montana this June,,,, 20 days just Super cubbing around..life is good.
Now I am looking at the price of gas before blasting off for somewhere.

Last edited:
No right Answer

Paul,
You didn't give us a category to vote for if we fly as much as we want. I'm so fortunate, I live 5 minutes from my hangar, am retired, have a very understanding and supportive wife who also likes the airplane and fly just about everytime the urge strikes me. Not as much as some but almost 200 hours a year and alot of that in 15 or 20 minute jaunts for a loop or roll or just to clear the eyes.

Paul,
You didn't give us a category to vote for if we fly as much as we want. I'm so fortunate, I live 5 minutes from my hangar, am retired, have a very understanding and supportive wife who also likes the airplane and fly just about everytime the urge strikes me. Not as much as some but almost 200 hours a year and alot of that in 15 or 20 minute jaunts for a loop or roll or just to clear the eyes.

As we prepare to close the deal on an Airpark home, I am curious if my own flying habits are going to change. Where it now takes me 25-30 minutes each way to and from the airport, it will soon take 30 seconds to get to the airplane. I am expecting that I will fly more often, but for shorter periods of time - enough to get upside down a few times, then home....wheteehr it will even out and my annual hours will be the same or not - I guess I'll see after a year!

Paul

68 miles

68 miles one way to the airport. With this commute I can hardly afford the gas to drive to the airport. I go two days a week, Friday and Saturday. Winter flying is tough as winds and weather play an important role in the breakfast destination.

Summer always sees more flying. Lots of trips planned for late summer.

Oh, I commute to work on the bus, 80 miles round trip at 72 bucks a month right now for a pass (Thats a nickle/mile). Helps me keep the plane in the air.

No airplane :(

But I am sure that once I do get mine finished in what seems like 30 years or so..., it will be money for gas since then it will all be going to paying hangar rent, insurance, user fees and fuel which will be somewhere around 10 bucks a gallon by then...

Sometimes makes me question my sanity for attempting to build this "flying machine".

Last edited:
Added a Category....

OK, by popular demand, I added a "I've got no airplane..." choice. Come on guys, get off the net, out and the shop, and finish them up! :D

Sometimes makes me question my sanity for attempting to build this "flying machine".

I asked myself that very question when Avgas went $5.71 at my airport this week...:( It has to come down, or an alternative will show up...it HAS TO!!

Yes its called mogas

But even that as an alternative I have to say that if I flew more than I do it would get..Deep breath..Boring!

Yup I know I have pilot friends who assume cus I post aerobatic you tube vids, do all my instrument currency flying etc that I must be some sort of junkie that flies every moment I can..

The answer is no not really, Skydiving was the same, did it, got good at it and then got bored..I'm careful to make usre I don't fly too much for that very reason.

The one reason I do like to fly is to give folks the oprotunity that don't normally get to...Today I am taking a young lady who's dream is to fly fighters, she is in the ROTC...Groucho would be a better fit than me here but I get to give her aerobatic intro this afternoon..Fastest thing she has been in is a 172..:)

If that really causes the bug to bite then I am a happy man!

Frank

I selected "cost". but only because I'm trying to save for engine and finishing kits. I still belong to the flying club but only for Citabria flying occasionally.

"flying machine"

Hey! I like that term, MA-SHEEN! Where didja get it?

;)

Time is my problem as of late. I have a couple of thousand dollar credit waiting for me at the FBO and this past week was AWESOME weather-wise (and I was on vacation!), but not much time to fly. I only logged .9 in an Archer. It was quality time, but not enough of it.

Life really got in the way.

Well, there is always this summer.

:( CJ

I said "no airplane" since mine isn't quite ready yet. My immediate problem is that the plane is liable to be ready to fly before I am. The last time I flew was about 4 years ago when the flight school I rented from went out of business. I had already decided that I could afford to keep renting or to build, but probably not both. I recently checked on rental prices with an eye towards getting recurrent in the near future and I'm still reeling from sticker shock! $150 per hour for a 172 plus $50 and hour for the instructor. (I was paying about $75 and hour for a Piper Warrior-gotta love fuel costs......) On top of that, I'll need to get a tailwheel endorsement and then I want to get some good transition training since I've never flown or even been a passenger in an RV. Plus the cost of insurance and a place to park the plane (it will almost certainly be outside since hangar space in north Georgia is extremely difficult to find). Once I get over the hump and actually get the plane in the air my cost per hour should be fairly doable unless fuel doubles (again!)

All of the above.

You needed an all of the above (except no airplane).

I have access to the CAP plane in town here and it is cheap 172 flying ($60/hour). And it is just a mile from work and I can take off and fly whenever I want, just have to make up the time later.

But there are limits to the finances and I have a family to get home to. The wife doesn't like being cooped up in the house all week with the (homeschooled) children and then be told that on the weekend I am going to be away for several hours while I go flying. She is also convinced that she will get a phone call someday telling her that I didn't survive the last flight - which really puts a damper on things. And, she has already sort of gotten one pf those calls - the CAP FRO over-reacted one night when I was out late and didn't check in when he thought I should have checked in. I got quite the earful from him when I got down and then I had to spend the rest of the weekend explaining to my wife why it was that I didn't do anything wrong...

...perhaps if I didn;t have the easy access to the CAP plane I would get busy again on the 7A. I haven't worked on it since July last year...

Proud to say that I average two to three hours every week in my RV9 since its first flight in July 2006.
I work a full and (almost) part time job teaching. We have two kids in Middle School. My daughter is a cheerleader and some of you probably know how demanding that is on your time and money. Lucky for me, my wife works and helps to pick up my financial slack.
The weather is the last factor but living here in the southeast affords year round flying.
I need my RV "fix" every coupla days.

Time

This time of year is tough. Landscaping, pruning, fixing the irrigation (today's chore) I can't work on my 7a in the late evening because I find I make too many dumb mistakes (oh wait that's the Cab/Sav.) No really, I prefer to build during the day...clearer head, no mistakes. I rent a 172. a half hour drive away. Book days in advance, weather might be good, might not! Two, maybe three years until I'm finished. I should be fully retired by then. after all his was supposed to be a retirement project. I'm OK with the time lines so far.

As we prepare to close the deal on an Airpark home, I am curious if my own flying habits are going to change. Where it now takes me 25-30 minutes each way to and from the airport, it will soon take 30 seconds to get to the airplane. I am expecting that I will fly more often, but for shorter periods of time - enough to get upside down a few times, then home....wheteehr it will even out and my annual hours will be the same or not - I guess I'll see after a year!

Paul

If you are moving to a grass strip, Paul, it may throw a crimp in the annual hours due to runway conditions. However it sure is convenient to walk to the hangar, push it out and blast off as I did yesterday. BUT we are some 14" of rain over last year at this time and the field is SOFT.

I do the checklists before leaving the hard surface so as to not stop once on the turf. It's like keep rolling baby and with full aft stick until nearly ready to lift off. If one stops, the 5" wheels will sink and full power won't get it moving. Recently a friend's Mustang II did just that and I had to get the trusty Kubota out and tow him back to his hangar.

I voted weather #1 as the inhibiting factor, but a close second is cost of fuel. Mogas is running $3.63 from Wal-Mart and 100LL is going for $5.05 locally.

If you are moving to a grass strip, Paul, it may throw a crimp in the annual hours due to runway conditions. .

Nope - it's paved! Narrow, but paved.....crosswinds can be exciting due to some trees and the houses and hangars. No instrument approach, so IFR days will be for maintenance....

I voted 'other' because you did not include a catagory for 'decide to pound rivets instead of flying'. We have a Cessna 172 that calls out to be flown, and wifey sure does fly it and asks me to go flying often. I have to turn her down sometimes or the RV-8 wouldn't move forward. I just got my first engine start over the weekend, and I'm pretty stoked for building!
Sure, it takes about 40 minutes to drive out to the airport, and the cost of fuel is high, those reasons can put a damper on flying as much as you would like, BUT building an airplane takes time, enjoyable quality time.

Reliability

How does that saying go, only build it because you "get to", not because you "have to"? I think that is pretty good advice, but it isn't how I did it.

I knew I wanted an RV real bad and knew I didn't want to build one and wasn't the type that should build one. I didn't rebuild engines or cars as a teenager and never really developed very good mechanical skills. Also, I didn't have a suitable place to build.

So, I shopped. I had a Piper Pacer at the time so was able to fly around some to look at airplanes for sale. I looked at quite a few 4s and 6s and just couldn't find the airplane. During this time the quickbuild 6 had been introduced, but only in the slider version, which I wasn't interested in.

At this point Van's introduced the QB RV-6 tip-up, and that pushed me over the edge. I thought maybe I could do the QB if I could find a place to build. I have a buddy that had a television repair shop in his back yard. It was the size of a two-car garage, plus some. He also had an air compressor and some tools. We made a deal where I would rent some space.

So I started in on the airplane, relying on the builders manual mostly with some reliance on the reference books. When I see now, on this forum, how I should have built the airplane (reaming every hole for instance) I see I did pretty much everything substandard. I did get it flying after about 27 months though, and what an airplane. I couldn't get over the responsiveness and feeling of total control. In fact it took me a couple of years to settle down and realize I need to be careful because the airplane was making me feel overconfident. Despite my iffy building techniques the airplane performed at least as well as Van's specs and I was walking on clouds.

I made a bunch of long trips, without trouble. What a feeling flying from Missoula, Montana to Carlsbad with one stop, at 17,500, running 200 knots plus groundspeed at 7 GPH or so. Wow!

Well the airplane is around 10 years old now and reliability is an issue. When compared to my two Japanese designed cars that just go and go with never a problem, there is a huge contrast.

Despite my lack of building skills, most of the problems have not been much related to anything I did.

The early teething problems were mostly with cowl fastening and exhaust hangars. The exhaust hangar problems were never resolved until I recently changed to Larry's newer parts. The original cowl fastener hinges were replaced in most areas with low-tech screws, which have been absolutely reliable but are a pain when removing the cowl.

The last few years haven't been as good. Repeatedly I have had pretty serious problems, or at least problems that seemed potentially serious. I have had an electrical failure, structural crack in the gear mounting structure and low oil pressure indication. Recently I went to the hangar to fly to find that a full fuel tank had lost ALL of its fuel. Today I found that fuel is dripping from under the cowling for about 30 seconds after I shut down, this is after I had the cowl off just last week, for an oil change.

So I'm not very good, but of all these problems, the only one I think I had anything to do with was the electrical system problem, which was an alternator connection that had become loose. Now I know that a smart mechanic or someone who likes to tinker, may have headed off a few of these things, but when I look at the factory planes around me, and the one I owned, it seems typical to have lots of little problems.

These problems are what keep me from flying so much. I don't like to tinker and I don't like to rely "on the kindness of strangers." I like to fly but live in a place without mechanics. I still fly quite a bit locally (over 100 hours per year), but the trips have greatly declined for fear of getting stuck somewhere. Sometimes I just take the simple but grinding alternative of slogging it out in the incredibly reliable Japanese car.

Kids College Education

I find the prospect of funding my sons' college educations puts a damper on my flying. I am actually "budgeting" my flying - limiting myself to once a week or so despite available hours and good weather. So sad.

I'd probably fly more if I had a nice RV though. I'm still flying an Archer. I just drool on RV's.

S_tones

Another Other but not for the examples listed

The airport is too far away and the time to drive there on the weekdays takes too long. I could flex my work time if I really wanted to but then I'd get worn out with the stop and go, annoying type of driving. Plus the airport's kind of dead during the week, not much fun. So when you really can't get to the airport excecpt for the weekends, wouldn't you know it, that's when the weather sucks...

I'm a commuter

Can't say fuel stops me flying it is how I commute weekly from evada to California. Believe it or not it still is cheeper than driving my truck and my time is to valuable to stop. I fly a 310 talk about fuel! Anyway hopefully building the rv8 and then flying it someday will teach how enjoy flying for fun.

Im with Widget.
Need a choice for "I fly as much as I want"
One year I did 650 rv hours.
One year only 250 rv hours. If I want to do it, I make the time.

Work

Since I fund my flying with my job, I reluctantly have to give the job top priority.
I try to fly once a week, and probably average almost that.

55 Miles One Way

I voted other. From one side of Atlanta to the other, totaling 55 miles one way. And with Atlanta traffic, well need I say more. I work from home full time and my next challenge is to get wireless at the hangar so I can continue to work... I do manage to spend at least one day a week at the airport.

What I would really like is to live like Paul at an airpark, wife is in favor of it except for the extremely long drive "she" would have to get to work.

With that said wonder what the chances of getting a forum for Residential Airparks or something like that so that current airpark livers can tell us all about their life style and those of us looking can gather more information. Beside it would make a good excuse to go some where on a weekend, to visit a fellow RV'er and see their airpark.

What I would really like is to live like Paul at an airpark, wife is in favor of it except for the extremely long drive "she" would have to get to work.

Louise is now commuting 88 NM to work each day - fortunately, she hops in her -6 (at home) and flies to College Station, then hops on the bicycle to her office on the adjacent campus.:cool:

The moral? Trade in the wife on one who can fly to work....:rolleyes:

Not quit sure I understand the question. I fly as much as I want to with no restrictions. My wife has her own hobbies of interest and pays all the gas bills when they arrive. So........I believe there needs to be another choice. Restriction by the hours in the day (24) and personal desire.

Trade In

Louise is now commuting 88 NM to work each day - fortunately, she hops in her -6 (at home) and flies to College Station, then hops on the bicycle to her office on the adjacent campus.:cool:

The moral? Trade in the wife on one who can fly to work....:rolleyes:

Paul,

I have already traded one of those in and it cost me two Bell 206's, can't do that anymore, much to expensive. I feel lucky that this one lets me have a 9A. It could be worse.

Several Reasons

(1) Time - the biggest factor
(2) Weather - why did I decide to stay here in the Pacific NW when I am only a VFR pilot??:confused:
(3) Airport is 50 minutes from home, although sometimes I am down that way for other reasons.
(4) Need some better ideas on when/where to fly and what to do. Maybe I need to hook up with some other pilots/RVers in the area and try to get involved in some group flights, etc. If it is just some pattern practice, a few loops and rolls out over Hood Canal, or some other short hop, I often simply am not motivated to put in a 2 hr round trip to the airport.