Now if they could only get the pre-takeoff briefing down to 77 seconds, now that would be something!

In a way , a farce. I have never seen this video, but read critiques about how non-real world the volunteer crowd was. After scanning the video, it was apparent that all were relatively fit, non-elderly volunteers. The lack of obesity was interesting (and undoubtedly purposeful). Next time you are at Walmart, superimpose what you see on that video - no way will you achieve a time that close in the real world, especially in this country with our growing waistline :rolleyes: .

Commercial

Reminds me why I love to fly commercial! Hope I can avoid that flight this week. This is right up there with the nuc drills we did in grade school.

Certification process numbers

That helps you understand how "real world" the rest of the numbers provided by the certification process are! :)

What are they supposed to do then, put a couple of quadriplegics, blind, elderly, and morbidly obese people in the mix and hope they don't get injured? I always consider simulations like this as a baseline/best-case measure and nothing more. Boy that sure is a lot of people though!

Last edited:
Man, I hate flying coach in little MD-80 death tubes. Coach in the A380 would drive me batty.

I just attented a presentation given by RV8 builder and Airbus Test Pilot, Terry Lutz. You may recall from an earlier posts that Terry was on the stick of the first A380 to land in the U.S.
Terry explained that this test is part of required certification and is carried out in a darkened hangar. The required threshold is under 90 seconds and a significant element is opening of doors and deployment of slides. "Only" one person suffered a broken ankle during this test.
Tests such as this are to allow comparison to a baseline under specific conditions. As for real world, even the auto industry has a difficult time getting volunteers to participate in crash sled testing.
Terry Kohler

They also needed to give all of the volunteers 4 oversized carry ons to place in the overhead and that 1 of them had a $5 bill in it. Then tell them to hurry up and get off.

The test is usually performed by gathering a bunch of employee's of the company. Which makes it even more bias since they are familer to some degree with the aircraft layout and such....

aelkins said:
What it would look like if I were an A380 captain! ;)
QUOTE]

Well, as an A330 Captain, I would hopefully say I would be watching from the outside shouting - Follow Me !

Difficult one, we fly 360 pax in 2 class or 407 pax in 1 class on the A330. If we had to abandon and evacuate, I would expect 10% loss one way or another even in good conditions. Probably from secondary injuries and age related problems.

At least I have 3 ways of exit - front door, E & E bay ladder or window :rolleyes:

mike newall said:
Well, as an A330 Captain, I would hopefully say I would be watching from the outside shouting - Follow Me !
But Mike, isn't the Captain supposed to go down with the ship, like in the Titanic?