Far North Texan

I have searched the forums, and have not seen my exact same question, so I am wondering...
We started our RV6A in 1991, were able to work full time for several months. We were in a place with experienced builders, all tools needed, and unlimited technical advice. We did all building ourselves but did not have to waste any time head scratching.
It took us 3298 hours.
Our kit was very slow build. At the time there were no pre punched. We cut lightening holes, straightened ribs with fluting pliers and hand seamers, located and drilled every hole, (except spar and wing attach bulkhead, which were all pre drilled I think), built the fuselage in the dreaded jig, etc etc.

So I am curious for those who have built more than one RV, regardless of model. How long did it take you to build your very slow build kit, and how long for your next one that was a pre punched?

I am curious how much time the pre punched kit saves the same builder.
thanks

Old vs. new kits

In the 1990's I also built an old RV6 kit with the same jigs you used. I did everything myself, bought few option kits, and basically did things the "long" way as I had a good Cessna 170 to fly. It took me over 4000 hours over 7 years to complete it. In about 2005 I acquired an RV8 tail kit followed by a wing kit which were all matched hole and went together really quickly. These were all raw kits and not quick build kits. After about 950 hours logged I had completed the airframe well beyond quick build stage and ordered the finish kit where I am now.

I found the RV8 extremely easy to build with no jigs. The RV8 fuselage is made in panels rather than skinning a skeleton like the older kits...it doesn't require a jig. Wings could be built on a table, but I found the "H" jig from the old RV6 days more comfortable for a short person to deal with so I used that. Like the entire kit, the wings went together real fast. Spars are ready made compared to the channel, bars, and angles in the RV6. The matched hole kits are light years ahead of the old kits BUT I enjoyed building the older kit much more as I am a builder first and a pilot second type of person. The RV6 is still in my hangar with 500 hours on it so I do not NEED another plane. It is a project as I am retired so I have different needs than most. I would estimate the work is about 40% less in the new kits than the old but there is not as much flexibility in the build process as everything is already laid out, punched, and fit for you. This leaves a lot of deburring, polishing, and boring tasks left for the builder while all the layout is done by the factory. I find that layout work as necessary to keep my interest up so I find the old kits better in that regard. Van's sales figures in recent years says that my thinking on this is not what the customer wants and I admit it.

I did rebuild an RV4 wreck and found that to be even more primitive than the RV6. It could be rebuilt with minimal parts because it was all angle and flat sheet with blueprints containing good dimensions verses assembly instructions on an isometric print of today's kits that do not show enough information to build a part from. A new part must be ordered in most cases.

This is my take on the old verses the new kits.

Dick DeCramer
Las Cruces, NM
RV6 N500DD
RV8 Starting Canopy

Wondering the same thing

I built my 6A in '94-98. No idea how many hours it took. I had no help but the Orndorf videos, little internet back then, and no prior experience save a Rans S-12. Now I'm rebuilding a house and re-acquiring tools so I can start a 10, or failing that, a 14. I will have VAF and all the internet as resources, but geographically it will still be a lone-wolf build, far from any airport but my own. I'm hoping the skills I apparently once had all come back to me.

One sure difference is not the kits, but the man: I knew nothing of reading glasses in 1998; can't fix a cup of coffee without them, now. Definitely sucks some of the fun out of the everyday little things.

-Stormy

10-4 on the reading glasses. 20 years ago I could almost read a newspaper in the dark, now not so much.
I also enjoyed the fabricating but I did not mind the drill, deburr, repeat. I found it quite satisfying. Love to rivet so cannot imagine getting a quick build kit.
My previous build partner has no more interest. Seems he only had one plane in him, and I wonder if I have another myself.
So just toying with the idea. The 10 looks like the ultimate 4 place plane and would sit nice beside the 6A.

First one was 2yrs 7mo standard build hot and heavy. Second one is 7yrs and counting but still having a ball.

The prior build experience has more influence on build time of the second kit that prepunching does.
Even a person that builds two prepunched kits, the build time of the second one is typically reduced by 1/3 of the time. It is not unheard of for an RV-4 or 6 builder to build a 7 or 8 in 1/2 the time of their first.

23 months for standard build 7A. 2nd go round was 7 1/2 months for a quick build 7A.
The longest was the 3rd 7A quick build wings and standard fuse in 30 months.
Having an RV to fly already really slows down the build

18 months and 1800 hours for the first 9A.
11 months for the 8 (didn't count hours)

It does get easier!

The prior build experience has more influence on build time of the second kit that prepunching does.
Even a person that builds two prepunched kits, the build time of the second one is typically reduced by 1/3 of the time. It is not unheard of for an RV-4 or 6 builder to build a 7 or 8 in 1/2 the time of their first.

Clarification.....
My comments are in the context of actual build hours.
Build times quoting months or years are not of much value without knowing how many hour's per week the project was worked on.

The 10 planes I have done have all taken two winters of work. My first, a RV4, was build to plans and had a very simple panel. Each subsequent aircraft has had updates, modifications and increasingly more complicated wiring and panels. The more I know, the more I do, and thus each plane has taken the same calendar time.
The RV14 will be the easiest kit that I have worked on and I find myself slacking off. It may end up being my longest build based on calendar time. The basic hours spent will could be lower but it depends on how much money gets spent on the expensive stuff as to how long the project really takes.
Many builders have reported that quick build kits reduce total hours spent but not calendar time.